Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

I think they have been using the term for awhile now - though not necessarily in ads. Speaking of that - the pdf isn't as slick as what I am expecting.

AoD

The tower seems really simple and unmemorable - but the podium - the important part that people have to interact with - is actually very interesting.

JtXIZ.jpg

I especially like the difference in material between the east and west sides of the ground floors, and how the tower appears to be slightly offset from the podium, like Aura

Seems small for such a central location. Are they only building this because the city is forcing them to? I think I'd prefer to wait a while, build something (at least 50%) larger and put up with the empty lot for a little while longer.

Or is the height restricted because they wouldn't be able to cram enough elevators in and still have large floor plates with the amount of space they want to allocate for the office component?

I meant the office tower, "One York Street". I guess the sign placement / font size doesn't sit well with me. It's generic but it's also -boom- in your face.

You'll be waiting more than a while. We have only a few tenants capable of anchoring 70 storey towers and none appear interested in consolidating space. Don't confuse height with scale either. These buildings pack a lot of space as prospective tenants demand large, efficient plans.

and is the 3rd largest office building to be built since scotiaplaza..

If it is actually 35s of office (not 33 plus 2 of retail) it only barely nudges out Waterpark Place III, 16 York, and 100 Adelaide.

I'm not saying it's tiny, I guess I would just prefer less projects with greater density. Southcore is filling up so quickly we're going to run out of space near our main transit hub and then I'm not sure where a large office tower would work (without serious demolition). I guess there's still 45 Bay.

EDIT: So I found this and it has a total SF of 941,147. Not sure how recent the info is but it says 791,147 max available. Guess they've already got some nailed down (I'm guessing the lobby + retail wouldn't account for 150,000 SF).

Last edited:
Look for taller office towers to be built in the traditional core (Bay and King)

1 - BAC - 218 meters - Built 2009
2 - BAC 2 - 196 meters - almost U/C - 2012
3 - 100 Adelaide 199? meters - proposed - 2013
4. - Simcoe Monster - 234 meters proposed - 2013??
5. - 45 Bay - 245 meters - unknown?? (only one in Southcore)

Back