Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

At this point, one either sees random shapes in white (clouds? dancing person?) against a dark background or dark trunks /branches against a white background, which I believe is the intended effect. Maybe the latter will become more obvious when the balconies are fully glazed. Someone told me once that Africans regard zebras as a black animal with white stripes, while non-Africans see them as a white animal with black stripes. Perhaps a sociologist can conduct a similar survey with these towers when they're done?

At this point, one either sees random shapes in white (clouds? dancing person?) against a dark background or dark trunks /branches against a white background, which I believe is the intended effect. Maybe the latter will become more obvious when the balconies are fully glazed. Someone told me once that Africans regard zebras as a black animal with white stripes, while non-Africans see them as a white animal with black stripes. Perhaps a sociologist can conduct a similar survey with these towers when they're done?
They're all cows to me

20220521_002835.jpg

I am still not sold on the balconies. I appreciate that they are different, but I don’t think it looks successful. I am not a fan of camo prints though so I am biased.

Does anybody know why they decided to put the office building on Queens Quay and the residential towers closer to the Gardiner? Every time I pass this building I'm struck by the fact that it would seem to make more sense the other way around...almost as if somebody held the plans upside down during construction lol

I'll admit, I usually dislike the wraparound balcony idea that aA usually designs. HOWEVER, these have turned out to actually be quite pleasant. I would still rather non wraparound balcony designs, but if we are going this route, this is how it should be done. I especially like the juxtaposition of the more rotund West tower against the slim East tower.

I especially like the juxtaposition of the more rotund West tower against the slim East tower.
The towers are mirror images of each other; both have chamfered corners facing its mate, to give enough separation distance more than breaking up the rectangle for aesthetic purposes.

I would have to agree. That certainly looks to be the case.
Maybe but the demolition permit has not yet been issued.

Application Detail​

Application:
Building Additions/Alterations
Under Review
TORONTO ON M5E 1A4
Ward 10: Spadina-Fort York
Application#:
22 116343 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date:
Feb 28, 2022
Project:
Industrial
Work:
Other(BA)
Description:
Proposal to demolish the existing 4 storey industrial building with retention of the entire front face (North) elevation including the facade (designated heritage) - LCBO, Sugar Wharf Block 3-4 [Demolition of LCBO office building + warehouse, and a separate retail store on the south end of site] See 19 218252 STE 10 SA for future development.

Back