Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

Too many thin high rises clump together still creates a barrier wall with no viewing distance with condo owners. As you can see it happening in the entertainment district. Why create a Hong Kong density image when we have the land to boot. The city should get together with the developers. To create each city block with one super tall and low rise condos, offices and retail flanked around it. This gives the super tall condo owners the view that they deserve. Plus make each super tall noticeable to viewers driving through the city. I believe there're starting to do this in Manhattan with some super talls.

Too many thin high rises clump together still creates a barrier wall with no viewing distance with condo owners. As you can see it happening in the entertainment district. Why create a Hong Kong density image when we have the land to boot. The city should get together with the developers. To create each city block with one super tall and low rise condos, offices and retail flanked around it. This gives the super tall condo owners the view that they deserve. Plus make each super tall noticeable to viewers driving through the city. I believe there're starting to do this in Manhattan with some super talls.

"They" are not doing that in Manhattan, and it's kind of a loony tunes approach to planning.

Someday soon.

IMG_3544.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3544.JPG
    IMG_3544.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 828
Hopefully only after they get a new architect.

I agree !! What's with those stick like cross columns. I'm starting to see them in a lot of these new development projects. Create something unique for the waterfront that blends in with the historical building.

Just wondered if the existing LCBO building is a listed or protected heritage structure? I'm all for protecting historical, period and architecturally significant structures that define and provide a link with a neighborhoods past, but frankly, as hard as I try, I can't find anything redeemable with this building. It's essentially a banal and not particularly significant example of a mid-century post-war modernist structure that's been done so much better elsewhere(IMHO). And simply "plopping" a contemporary structure on top of it, which if done really well can create some interesting architectural/visual tension, just doesn't seem to work in any of the renders I've seen. Perhaps it just needs a better re-tweaking of the marriage of old with new, or possibly the existing LCBO building needs some significant alterations to its bland facade to create more visual interest. It doesn't help that the towers proposed to sit on it (or at least as rendered) seem almost as banal. Marrying two mediocre buildings into one is never good design, just as two wrongs don't make a right! As it is, it seems to serve more as a restraint on doing anything really spectacular with this site. Just saying!

Last edited:
Hmmm...just as I feared!

Thank's for the interior lobby pics! Have to admit I'm more impressed with the buildings interior than with its facade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly though they aren't saving that much of it (mostly the portion along Lake Shore), which isn't the most promising side of the site in the first place (context: Gardiner). Responsibility for the mediocrity of the current proposal has to stand on its own.

AoD

So true! I'm just hoping that something happens on this site that seems to be missing from so much of the Southcore developments. Time will tell.

Back