Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

Looks like this development will be known as the "Sugar Wharf":

https://twitter.com/MenkesLife/status/951532946233622534

DTSGK61VQAAQVFf.jpg
What a wasted opportunity! This is pretty bad and boring as hell!

The towers look generic and forgettable. Long and monotonous walls of glass and brick don't make for an interesting walking experience. There's even some sort of skybridge that evokes the sad and forlorn pedestrian bridge between the Sheraton Centre and Nathan Phillips Square. It looks boring and lacking in the fine-grained details which make a city neighbourhood pleasant to spend time in.

It must be very expensive to build downtown. Starting with the purchase of the land . The longer they wait to build the cheaper the development becomes. I wonder if the developers even care or read about people think about they're project? Every one seems to hate it here!

I'm guessing the buildings are place holders as the designs buildings look very different to the earlier renderings (minus LCBO which seems like it's the only one almost finalized since it's not cropped out). I hope a lot more is one at street level and the park is well integrated to the neighborhoods around it.

What were people expecting from Menkes, though? aA made miracles at Harbour Plaza but how many times can you do that with a cheap, stingy client like Menkes? It's no secret that they're cheap AF.

Last edited:

Back