News   Jul 22, 2024
 382     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 425     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 467     0 

Toronto Street Food

Street Food blues

Every so often events at city council expose the mindset of some of the most woefully inept and unimaginative bureaucrats and politicians that run this city. The latest street food vendor fiasco is one of those events. It's been over two years since the province cleared the way for Toronto to allow a more varied choice of foods to be sold by street vendors. The plan was embraced by the general public, food vendors, and the the tourist industry. The goal was simple and clear and the path was laid out. But, of course, the soul destroying, anti people, anti city, anti let's enjoy life, safety first, bureaucracy that actually runs this city got involved. The plan has now been reduced to a pilot project involving 8 vendors. EIGHT VENDORS!, in a city of 2.5 million people.
Read on, from the Star, March 18.

JOHN SPEARS
CITY HALL BUREAU

Close, but no lawful falafel.

Many wannabe cart owners' faces fell in their soup when they saw the city's list of restrictions for the new street food program.

Topping their menu was the daunting demand that owners must be on hand for 70 per cent of the cart's hours of operation. Others cried "fowl" over the requirement that street food must be prepared in a commercial kitchen, a demand that slams the cupboard door on at-home cooks.

And complying with its nutritional rules is one of the "guiding principles" for cart-based meals, vendors were told when applying for permits. (It's not clear how the city's current army of hot dog vendors gets around this.)

A taste of some other rules:

Carts, costing up to $28,000, must be purchased from the approved supplier.

Forget fresh omelettes. "A raw egg is a hazardous product and will only be allowed on the cart if it is precooked and reheated on the cart."

Freshly cooked meat is also out. "The only raw food that can be cooked from the raw state are foods such as corn on the cob, potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams."

The owner must be a "sole proprietor who must work on the cart 70 per cent of the cart operating hours" each week. (No such requirement for hot dog vendors.)

Factors are weighted in evaluating applications. The taste of the food counts for only 12 per cent of total points. The business plan counts for 7 per cent, "environmental considerations" for 10.5 per cent, and food safety for 14 per cent.

"Advertising other businesses, products or events on carts is not permitted."

Soy margarine is permitted on the cart "provided the margarine is non-hydrogenated."

If the food they offer isn't selling, vendors who want to switch to different foods must "apply to the Medical Officer of Health to have your menu reconsidered."

In the end, too many were scared away and Torontonians reaped a paltry harvest, with only eight vendors stepping up. Chinese food and Latin food vendors did not make the cut.

"It's not because they do not have great street food. It's not because Toronto isn't full of fabulous Chinese, Latin and South Asian cuisine," Councillor John Filion said.

"We didn't convince them to apply and we'll have to work harder the next time around," which he hoped would be in the fall.

Scores of potential vendors attended the city's information sessions. In the end, only eight made it through.

We'll never know how many people wanted to bring their food to the streets.

Last edited:
This is why the OMB is necessary. Whenever the City is given a task, even something as simple as letting people make streetfood, they manage to screw up in the most incredible way possible. I bet we would start having "pilot projects" to test if high rise construction is really a safe engineering form and countless studies into the suitability of the I-beam and rebar. Maybe the city would declare that from this point on all doors will be owned by the city and rented out to individuals to prevent a "door conglomerate" from taking over the trade.

I would vote for anybody who promises to rectify the absurdity of this.

The over-managed nanny-state strikes again. Apparently New York's thriving street eats world would only serve to give our own politicians and technocrats indigestion because it isn't being controlled and taxed effectively enough. I feel for the poor vendors who probably figured they've invested some much time and money in the effort they might as well see it through.

Eight vendors spread out all over the city--pathetic. And looking at the menus half of the food is neither unique among Toronto food nor is even going to be traditional street food--it's restaurant food being sold on the street. I never saw any bulgogi vendors in Korea but there is a lot of excellent street food made there that would go down well in Toronto if the city would allow it, and not for beween $3-7 either. True street food should max out at $3--it's quick and easy for people on the go with variety in selection being important, not a substitute for a restaurant. I might as well get take out. And hot dogs will still rule the roost on price if nothing else.

This is a total screw-up by the city and quite frankly I'm not really even seeing a silver lining in all of this. It'll take quite a sea change for city hall to start promoting anything that resembles true "street food."

Just another example of the half measures that this current Council takes. They never follow through with their good ideas, from better street food, to bike lanes in the suburbs to improved transit. Everything needs to be coaxed, it's like pulling teeth.

I think John Barber has a piece from awhile ago highlighting how the whole issue has basically been hijacked by Fillion @ public health.

AoD

Last edited:
I was so looking forward to this! I live for street food.

I was dreaming about Dim Sum, Big pots of salty Congee Soup with fresh grilled meat and veggies, warm home mede crepes with fruit compotes and nutella, Empanadas and Churros, Tacos and Burritos, Philly Cheese Steaks...ohh!

City Hall has managed to suck the life out of every positive idea that passed through that place.

The food safety restrictions are over the top. Have none of these guys ever gone to the beach with a cooler filled with steaks and burgers and a hibachi?

All the carts have to look the same? What a ridiculous idea. A colorful jamaican Jerk Hut with Corregated tin roof would look terrific.

Read the City response to the question...
37. Question: Can I customize my cart?
Answer: Yes, where possible the interior of the carts (the cooking
components) can and will be customized by the purchase of
components from Crown-Verity to suit your needs. The
exterior of the cart cannot be customized.

They should be brightly decorated with the colours of the culture. Because of the city they will look just like or stainless steel garbage recycling bins!

I love this answer below...
30. Question: How was the requirement that owners must work on the
cart a minimum of 70% of the time figured out?
Answer: This is a requirement under Chapter 738 of the Municipal
Code of the City of Toronto.
That's not an answer! Unbeleivable!
You think anyone there ever read "Catch 22"?

This one below must have been written by a vegetarian.
45. Question: Can I grill meat on my cart?
Answer: Hazardous meats, fish, and poultry cannot be grilled from
the raw state. However they can be reheated if previously
cooked. The only raw foods that can be cooked from the raw state are foods such as corn on the cob, potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams.
Note that they describe meat at "Hazardous Meats". So which are the non hazardous meats.

2 years of planning and this is all they produced?

Mel Lastman Square Thai Pad Thai with fresh rolls
Metro Hall Afghani/Central Asian Chapli kebabs
Nathan Phillips Square Central Asian/Persian Biryani
Nathan Philips Square Greek Souvlaki
Queen’s Park Middle Eastern Chicken/beef kebab wraps
Roundhouse Park Eritrean Injera
Yonge & Eglinton Korean Bulgogi with seasonal kimchi
Yonge & St. Clair Caribfusion Jerk chicken

Here is a list of 70 ethnic groups in this city(by Language). Next step ought to be at least one cart for each group that wants one.
English Irish Scottish Italian Chinese Cantonese Portuguese Punjabi Spanish Polish Tagalog (Pilipino) Tamil French Urdu Greek Russian Arabic Persian (Farsi) German Vietnamese Korean Mandarin Gujarati Ukrainian Hungarian Hindi Croatian Romanian Serbian Bengali Somali Dutch Macedonian Armenian Twi Malayo-Polynesian Japanese Hebrew Turkish Yiddish Serbo-Croatian Czech Slovenian Sindhi Maltese Estonian Amharic Slovak Bulgarian Latvian Lithuanian Niger-Congo
Sinhalese Finnish Malayalam Pashto Tigringa Malay-Bahasa Danish Indo-Iranian Lao Hakka Telugu Creoles Swahili Khmer (Cambodian) Bantu Marathi Sino-tibetan
Swedish

http://www.toronto.ca/alacart/index.htm

Last edited:
Perhaps Royson James should write another column about how councillors should be, once a day, taken from City Hall and sold the next day as Soylent Green, happily determined to not be a "hazardous meat".

Remember when there was talk of banning sushi in Toronto a few years back? Talk about embarrassing.

this is a wiener town!

the hot dog lobby is one powerful group. they're right up there with the illuminati. ;)

Back