Toronto Strada | 31.39m | 7s | RioCan Living | Turner Fleischer

April 10, 2021

20210410_095901.jpg
20210410_095921.jpg
20210410_095938.jpg
20210410_095959.jpg

Frightening. Imagine walking past this building… no, don't. Toronto cops could do us all a favour, and when they see @AlbertC or @Red Mars, etc., walking down College St with their camera, ready to pull it out here, they could arrest them for conspiracy to transmit architorture. UT lawyer members: please discuss.

I'll volunteer my time to paint those horrific ugly grey spandrel colours.

Yes that's right RioCan i'll do it free of charge, the only caveat being: the colours must be one of: red, orange, white, or beige.
I'll join you, but they'll have to buy the paint and we'll have to approve the colour.

I'll volunteer my time to paint those horrific ugly grey spandrel colours.

Yes that's right RioCan i'll do it free of charge, the only caveat being: the colours must be one of: red, orange, white, or beige.

Breaking News! Rouge UrbanToronto forum user @Amare was caught late last night with a truck load of paint and tools, ready to splash some colour upon the new Strada building along College Street.

In an interview with them, they said with the utmost frustration while unloading the truck: "Always gotta do these things myself! I will paint every last one of these grey buildings until they finally choose a new colour!"

With a quick coat of paint (photoshop) I introducing White Strada! Uh, it seems @Amare started on the brickwork too! ;)

spamdrel.jpg

I can say for certain the window wall needs a total rethink even with a different color scheme, there is still too much spandrel. But for more options, my personal favourite, the rainbow! For something that should look messy, I actually think this one hides the spandrel the best. (obviously not easy to do though, but I can dream!)

spamdrelbonus.jpg

I like that last one! That kind of treatment could do wonders for so much of the city's archiblight. But, of course, it's written somewhere in the founding papers that Toronto can't have colorful, or nice things as it over stimulates the blood, causing the citizenry to get the vapors.

Kidding aside, is it actually possible to paint spandrels? Is there a type of paint that can be permanently applied to spandrels? If there is, it shouldn't cost too much given the relatively small size of the building.

Edit: I mean after they're installed, not when they're manufactured, which of course is possible.

Last edited:
Kidding aside, is it actually possible to paint spandrels? Is there a type of paint that can be permanently applied to spandrels? If there is, it shouldn't cost too much given the relatively small size of the building.

Edit: I mean after they're installed, not when they're manufactured, which of course is possible.
There are predominantly two types of what we normally just call 'spandrel panels' on UrbanToronto: back-painted glass spandrel panels, and aluminum spandrel panels.

The former is exactly what it's called, with glass facing out and preventing the painted side from weathering. It's also inaccessible from the painted side, with insulation, framing and drywall behind it. From the inside, it doesn't look like there are painted over window panels, it just looks like more wall.

The latter is typically an aluminum panel, typically "powder coated" with a baked-on colour for long-weathering purposes, or anodized to make it more receptive of other types of colour treatment.

Essentially whatever colour has gone up will be the panel's permanent colour, but with recladding of the building down the road sometime in the future, something more adventurous for replacement materials could be considered at that time.

There are predominantly two types of what we normally just call 'spandrel panels' on UrbanToronto: back-painted glass spandrel panels, and aluminum spandrel panels.

The former is exactly what it's called, with glass facing out and preventing the painted side from weathering. It's also inaccessible from the painted side, with insulation, framing and drywall behind it. From the inside, it doesn't look like there are painted over window panels, it just looks like more wall.

The latter is typically an aluminum panel, typically "powder coated" with a baked-on colour for long-weathering purposes, or anodized to make it more receptive of other types of colour treatment.

Essentially whatever colour has gone up will be the panel's permanent colour, but with recladding of the building down the road sometime in the future, something more adventurous for replacement materials could be considered at that time.

Any idea what type of spandrel cladding we are seeing go up on this one? If I was to hazard a guess, I would say it's the powder coated variety just because it looks so damn cheap.

--RioCan please also note, im fully willing to also provide all heat baking paint material and/or other special weathering treatment to paint over the horrid panels that you approved installation to--

Any idea what type of spandrel cladding we are seeing go up on this one? If I was to hazard a guess, I would say it's the powder coated variety just because it looks so damn cheap.

--RioCan please also note, im fully willing to also provide all heat baking paint material and/or other special weathering treatment to paint over the horrid panels that you approved installation to--
The architectural plans show back-painted glass spandrel panels in use here, which has been the most prolific choice in this city over the last decade or so.

Back