Toronto Station Condos on the Subway | 51.51m | 14s | Brandy Lane | CMV

Here the photos I shot on April 8 and more up on site.

Having been following this one from day one, I get the impression that the east tower is not selling well and is way behind the rest of the project.
13729772965_e52bf1bcea_b.jpg

13730202164_3b2c6a2545_b.jpg

13729758425_935fb04f32_b.jpg

13729854233_8c68feb16c_b.jpg

13729818603_3c7771913b_b.jpg

13730200224_119036d7fa_b.jpg

There's another phase behind it now working its way through planning. The parking lot there now is reportedly getting more use since the Yorkdale commuter parking deck was demolished for the mall's expansion. The Spadina line extension will likely open before the new Yorkdale garage is online, but neither of those happen until 2016. The second phase could be in sales before then, but I would expect that the parking lot will remain until those other options are available for commuting drive-and-parkers.

Those buildings are a perfect height and size for that area. Now if all the streets in this suburban area had this size and density, it would make a very lively, livable neighbourhood. Toronto needs lots more building of this size, all along our main streets. I'd actually even prefer this density on our smaller streets too but of course, suburbanites would freak out, at even the thought of that but it is my dream. I grew up in North York's suburban ugliness, so anything that changes that bland, soulless, suburban look and feel, works for me.

Those buildings are a perfect height and size for that area. Now if all the streets in this suburban area had this size and density, it would make a very lively, livable neighbourhood. Toronto needs lots more building of this size, all along our main streets. I'd actually even prefer this density on our smaller streets too but of course, suburbanites would freak out, at even the thought of that but it is my dream. I grew up in North York's suburban ugliness, so anything that changes that bland, soulless, suburban look and feel, works for me.

New condos don't necessarily challenge bland or soullessness. The build up on Sheppard just north of Wilson hasn't done anything to make that street more lively or more soulful. And we've yet to see any increase in either on this stretch of Wilson.

While Gramercy Park is a decent looking building, Station so far is looking to fall below that threshold with every update. Nor is the area seeing any new business development promised when Gramercy was proposed.

What I'd like to see on side streets are more low-rise walkups like in Montreal. The city should allow apartments and condos to be built to a height of about 3 stories on side streets, replacing houses. It would be another legitimate way of densifying, providing there's no heritage involved.

New condos don't necessarily challenge bland or soullessness. The build up on Sheppard just north of Wilson hasn't done anything to make that street more lively or more soulful. And we've yet to see any increase in either on this stretch of Wilson.

As someone who lives near Sheppard, I can testify that street life here is nearly non-existent despite many mid rise developments. Some new buildings don't even have retail, and those that do are dominated by walk-in clinics, pharmacies, and miscellaneous offices. The few restaurants that exist are in old strip malls set back from the street. Only one of those restaurants has a patio, but few people seem interested in sitting beside five lanes of traffic. The real main street of the neighbourhood is a large suburban plaza at the corner of Bathurst & Sheppard. There's a Pizza Pizza, Starbucks, Subway, Dairy Queen, Shoppers, Dollar Store, pet store, grocery store, 3 banks, among other things. There's also a gas station across the street. Basically everything is in one place and people simply drive there to get whatever they need.

It definitely isn't a boring facade from a distance. But walking by the building would probably be a monotonous experience. That glass and spandrel combination at street level goes on and on.

Back