Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

I'm surprised there's not much talk here about the St. Regis opening yesterday. I walked past today, and although the building exterior still needs some work, it was good to see the Bay/Adelaide facing windows opened up again. It looks like (I could be mistaken) that the old bar that used to be there is now just an extension to the lobby, which probably makes more sense.

I was there for an event last week. While the interior is impressive, I’m disappointed that they didn’t even so much as touch the exterior.

I would have liked the iron attachments to be replaced by wood canopy and the porte cochere with the ugly cheering crowd mural and yellow lighting to be replaced with something darker and more luxurious.

Here’s what a St. Regis entrance typically looks like.

ST.REGIS_HOTEL_OSAKA_ENTRANCE.JPG

... and what they left it as for St. Regis Toronto:

35050-118616.jpg

My hope is that they’ll make these changes over time.

The exteriors in the last photo are already looking dirty, dated.
That entrance does not say luxury to me!

Yes. I’m surprised St. Regis made virtually no changes to the exterior. It has never looked like a 5 Star Hotel from the outside. As a Trump, that was expected, but as St Regis, it’s uncharacteristic and is something they should correct as soon as possible. If I were spending $1000+/night on a room, I’d probably scrunch my nose when arriving. The entrance is inexplicably cheap looking and far from the grand arrivals expected at this level. Of course that changes once inside, but the first impression is not a good one.

The first mistake was putting the garage entrance on Bay. Like, wtf? The Bay Street address is one of its most valuable assets. Adelaide is getting more pedestrian friendly but it’s still the uglier street. They’re stuck with it so they should rework the Adelaide entrance.

I wonder if St. Regis would consider making some changes to the exterior now that they’re settled in. Replacing the precast panels with brick would make a big difference and bring it in line with the heritage structures around it.

So much negativity here. People, let it go please. There is no reason for Marriott to change an exterior features that are practically brand new and work very well.
Show me another building clad in granite in the past 20 years around town? I think it fits the area well, its granite does scream luxury to me.

So much negativity here. People, let it go please. There is no reason for Marriott to change an exterior features that are practically brand new and work very well.
Show me another building clad in granite in the past 20 years around town? I think it fits the area well, its granite does scream luxury to me.

Just because it isn't likely to change doesn't mean we should avoid commenting on it. If it looks bad, it looks bad - period. Besides IMO the granite isn't the issue - it was handled ok.

AoD

Back