Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

July 4th - looks like a telescopic crane

7502991108_8e5caba62b_o.jpg

-

Click for Full-Size image>>>

Looks like fairly standard window washing affair. I think we can expect to see the broken, mismatched panels replaced and the many grey mullion caps on the corner tower installed over the next few weeks.

KPMG signs (all sides) are turned off on BA tonight (past midnight). Looks very dark. Surely not a response to Trump: if all four sides are blacked out...(?)

KPMG signs (all sides) are turned off on BA tonight (past midnight). Looks very dark. Surely not a response to Trump: if all four sides are blacked out...(?)

There's a blackout in patches of downtown from York St. to Bayview, Carlton to Queen's Quay. BAC is one of the buildings that got knocked out.

I did know about the blackout, but much of the rest of the building is lit up (emergency generators?) as are all the buildings immediately surrounding it (and their logos), which is partially what threw me. I'd also read earlier tonight that the power outage was only East of Jarvis. Thanks for the updated info.

Last edited:
Saw the full light strip being... tested? the other night. Went all the way up the building, bottom to top. Unlike the CN Tower, whose LED lighting is muted because it's entirely reflected off internal surfaces (inside the elevator shafts, inside the microwave bubble, etc), Trump is just a gigantic strip of naked super-power LEDs that completely dominate the skyline. When it's pure white, it's kind of cool. When it goes all the awful shades of pink and mauve and purple, it looks like a giant 900-foot tall lightsaber stuck into the ground. If it's deployment is like the tests, this is going to be a real point of contention in the years to come.

I know it's not quite finished, but this is how trump meets the street. Specifically the light strip

toronto2012070400038.jpg

It certainly is a peeker.

7480742842_341a8e9c30_b.jpg

the dome silhouette really does look nice on the skyline. and from this view, adds quite a bit of class to the skyline, that's otherwise dominated by flat roofs, :)

and ya, speaking of the Bay Adelaide logos, whats gonna happen with the south side one? dimmed, or fully blacked out when Trump is complete?

The lightstrip is the only cool thing about this otherwise mediocre building. But in typical Toronto fashion, it ends way too abruptly--at 100s, the effect would've been amazing. It's hard for me to get a good shot of this but I'll try via an improvised tripod & youtube video.

Saw the full light strip being... tested? the other night. Went all the way up the building, bottom to top. Unlike the CN Tower, whose LED lighting is muted because it's entirely reflected off internal surfaces (inside the elevator shafts, inside the microwave bubble, etc), Trump is just a gigantic strip of naked super-power LEDs that completely dominate the skyline. When it's pure white, it's kind of cool. When it goes all the awful shades of pink and mauve and purple, it looks like a giant 900-foot tall lightsaber stuck into the ground. If it's deployment is like the tests, this is going to be a real point of contention in the years to come.

It appears to be in the final testing stages, they seem to have most of the wrinkles ironed out and I haven't noticed any testing last night or tonight so perhaps it may be ready to go live soon. The CN tower was brighter in the beginning (though not as bright as Trump) but they dimmed it by perhaps 20-30% the first spring that they had the system installed which is how it remains today.
Here's a story that starts with the Trump lighting, I don't think I've seen it posted anywhere else on UT - http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1221585--toronto-needs-to-light-up-its-buildings-at-night

Back