Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

well, ya know, i was just saying.... i mean, i don't mean that whoever doesn't like the building is wrong, but i think there are a few people who hate everything about this building no matter what... even the interiors, even the name itself, ... i personally think this building has at least one thing people can say good about... I just find it completely absurd that people call this worse than Crystal Blu.

I find the colours dull, the transitions awkward, and the finishes average. Without the onion dome, height, and Trump name I don't think this building would get so many excited followers. If there wasn't going to be the onion dome, the tower 10 storeys shorter, and on top of this building was going to be a Day Hotel logo I wonder if some of the excitement might be lost. I think the exterior of the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, and Shangri-La look far better by a wide margin.

...and of course if the CN Tower were shorter, didn't have a donut in the middle and was called Radio Tower, it wouldn't get as much attention as it does.

Of course taking away the most interesting aspects about Trump would make it an average tower. It is those things that make it interesting.

Walking by the site today, I noticed that there is an abundance of signage for Brookfield Multiplex (mostly on the gates and hoardings). After a quick google search, it seems that they are an Australian-based Brookfield Asset Management subsidiary. I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks, but I'm 99% sure that the signs weren't there before I left. Anyone know why they got invovled at such a late stage? Are they taking over construction management?

The cladding on the Ritz isn't that great, when looking in hindsight at then Four Seasons, Shangrila, and soon to be Delta, which will likely have curtianwall glass similar to 18 York or better.

If you think about it, even Trump has better cladding than Ritz, it was the spandrel that messed it up.

Last edited:
Walking by the site today, I noticed that there is an abundance of signage for Brookfield Multiplex (mostly on the gates and hoardings). After a quick google search, it seems that they are an Australian-based Brookfield Asset Management subsidiary. I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks, but I'm 99% sure that the signs weren't there before I left. Anyone know why they got invovled at such a late stage? Are they taking over construction management?
They took over as general contractor, yes. I believe that it has been about three weeks now.

well, ya know, i was just saying.... i mean, i don't mean that whoever doesn't like the building is wrong, but i think there are a few people who hate everything about this building no matter what... even the interiors, even the name itself, ... i personally think this building has at least one thing people can say good about... I just find it completely absurd that people call this worse than Crystal Blu.

hate "crystal blue" or not, i think it compliments the "uptown" very nicely and set along with one bloor. personally... wow! and trump its the completion that will make this project stand out.. problem is as swe are watching these things being built takes something away cause you can see what you (my self) would change as it goes. but its the final look of it as well as how it compliments th sorrounding buildings and thier own achutecture. its going to fit in the skyline and core just amazingly.

I find the colours dull, the transitions awkward, and the finishes average. Without the onion dome, height, and Trump name I don't think this building would get so many excited followers. If there wasn't going to be the onion dome, the tower 10 storeys shorter, and on top of this building was going to be a Day Hotel logo I wonder if some of the excitement might be lost. I think the exterior of the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, and Shangri-La look far better by a wide margin.

Exactly.

Sept 09
6139308912_fe36c2b98b_b.jpg

6139310440_1367114dab_b.jpg

6139309460_6ec9aa21f5_b.jpg

6138591649_4982fd4190_b.jpg

6138593279_dd3a3c101e_b.jpg

6138590877_bae8b710f0_b.jpg

Without the onion dome, height, and Trump name I don't think this building would get so many excited followers.

That's a pretty bizarre comment. Remove the stand-out features from ANY building, and it will not stand out!
As for the other 5-stars, Ritz has the shape, but the cladding is pretty bleak, Shangri-La is a winner all round, but other than us freaks on forums like this, the average Joe on the street probably won't give Four Seasons a second look. Trump is an attention-grabber, and Toronto needs buildings like this.

Last edited:
A different vantage point - from Parliament. Flash messed up the photo, so I had to go Redroom Studios style on this one. Shangri-la peeking in the background as well.

trump-tower-pixel-10-09-2011.jpg

That's a pretty bizarre comment. Remove the stand-out features from ANY building, and it will not stand out!
As for the other 5-stars, Ritz has the shape, but the cladding is pretty bleak, Shangri-La is a winner all round, but other than us freaks on forums like this, the average Joe on the street probably won't give Four Seasons a second look. Trump is an attention-grabber, and Toronto needs buildings like this.

I agree, too many Christopher Hume followers...and regarding Shangri-La its OK cause where it is located, throw it at the same location as Trump and it would just be another unnoticeable glitzy glass box among giants...
At least Trump has made an efford to stand out among the surrounding Big Boys.:cool:

A different vantage point - from Parliament. Flash messed up the photo, so I had to go Redroom Studios style on this one. Shangri-la peeking in the background as well.

trump-tower-pixel-10-09-2011.jpg

outstanding! personally, i think the cladding looks VERY good in these lighting conditions. And fits in perfectly/compliments Bay Adelaide and Scotia next to it. :D

Back