Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Unfortunately it's quite the opposite, especially in the case of Uptown. What is unique about a poorly executed knock-off of an architectural style from 80 years ago? Uptown and Trump are nowhere near unique, and are nowhere near the league of buildings such as Rockefeller or Chrysler.

I love Toronto, and it is truly special, but we have to face that fact that we don't have the Deco architecture of New York; and we never will (no amount of Burka/Stern/Kirkor rip-offs will ever come close). Instead we should cherish what we do have: a "skeleton" of fantastic Victorian residential and commercial architecture that stretches on for quite a while, and a truly great collection of modern architecture.

Pandering to the past, and the safe styles of those afraid to experiment is embarrassing, and will forever hold us back architecturally.

I would alter this statement to say that we don't have the collection of large-scale deco architecture like New York has (with the Chrysler, 30 Rock, and Empire State). We do have some smaller buildings with the same general look as the Empire State (Commerce Court West, 320 Bay, although neither has the completely Deco decoration scheme) and a couple of midrise Deco buildings (such as the Concourse). The old Scotia building also has some nice Deco elements. But some of our best examples of Deco are unfortunately just memories.

I love Toronto, and it is truly special, but we have to face that fact that we don't have the Deco architecture of New York; and we never will (no amount of Burka/Stern/Kirkor rip-offs will ever come close). Instead we should cherish what we do have: a "skeleton" of fantastic Victorian residential and commercial architecture that stretches on for quite a while, and a truly great collection of modern architecture.

Pandering to the past, and the safe styles of those afraid to experiment is embarrassing, and will forever hold us back architecturally.
Howard, is that you?

(just kidding - I agree completely)

adma said:
Hey, why not make it even *more* fun. September 11;-)
How is this even remotely funny?
It's not, but then again half of what adma says is his own verbal masturbation anyways - so no big surprise.

Thanks for the info. Makes u think why didn't they get approval in the first place? Hopefully the sign isn't assembled prior to getting any approvals.

This was the sign I was ref'ing to btw:

78da4dc3.jpg

photo by me

Does anyone know if this was approved?

I grew up in NYC and have been living in Toronto for about 11years. I think what is going in this city is amazing. It is booming, and all the new construction projects are fantastic. When I came here 11yrs ago, at 8pm downtown was a ghost town with parking lots and no human beings around. The biggest difference is that NYC was built when majority of the buildings were made from concrete, not glass and steel. Now when new towers go up, the new glass mixes in nicely with the old. Developers should be looking at more towers like 1 St. Thomas and Trump, which have a more solid look, style and feel.

I guess what your saying is that the new buildings don't use heavier stone and concrete finishes..? It is the extensive use of panelling that looks bad to me, when you have a series of these heavily panneled condos together it makes for a rather tinny looking streetscape. Aa seems to do a better job with their designs, but even their work has started to look a bit insta-highrise. I wish more would incorporate stone into even just the podiums, but precast panelling seems to be favoured even in a limited capacity. Worse yet some use styrofoam because it sorta looks like stone. But anyway, I agree and would love to see more use of stone, in the very least at street level.

I smiled when i saw this view... the future skyline of Toronto had always looked like this in my mind, with Trump Tower in it, for some reason i always associate future toronto with Trump tower.... for years i dreamed of one day seeing Trump on the skyline, and the future is now!... EPIC!

Trump really just takes the skyline/cbd up a notch.... it looks really really good from afar.

taken today:

6107550640_ec9da4f587_b.jpg

6107002507_30343834cd_b.jpg

6107551756_356a76990a_b.jpg

September 02.
The weather went south as I started to do some shooting of the dome.
6107071249_0937d0ed09_b.jpg

6107072011_5e853abe7d_b.jpg

Still missing a fair number of bracing members. You could see the welding taking place from University Ave as well from Richmond in the rain.
6107625258_2afd22edea_b.jpg

6107078677_aafd58cc99_b.jpg

6107077961_8b7a62e65a_b.jpg

Back