Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

At Trump, they are using RCS (Rail Climbing System) for Protection.

It is similar to this;
rcs_p02_lg.jpg

The system protects workers from falls, and from the elements. It also protects people on the ground from falling objects. On a building with a typical column + bay structure, it is most likely that the RCS is being used for protection, as there are different forms for pouring the columns (you can clearly see these in some of the latest pictures of Trump). This is not always the case, though, as RCS is also often used to form exterior shearwalls. The CN Tower was formed utilizing a RCS-system. There is a variation of the system to suit pretty much any building condition.

Identifying the difference can be difficult from afar, but it's a safe bet that the RCS at the top of most towers is primarily for protection.

Here is a basic example of climbing wall formwork;
rcs_c02_lg.jpg

The system is expensive to operate. If you're not utilizing the hydraulic-ascending RCS (which requires specialized workers) then you are forced to dedicate the crane to it's removal and replacement. This can be costly, and sometimes those cons outweigh the pros. In the case of Trump, the business of Bay & Adelaide and the possibility of lawsuit, likely made it worth the investment.

Awesome, thank you!

Apparently the city has problems with the use of the RCS due to the "advertising message". Equate them with illegal billboards.

Interesting. I can see why.
I wish they would ban the use of apartment buildings putting up giant ads on the top of their buildings to advertise they have units available. Usually RENT HERE 416-555-5555 etc.

I wish they would ban the use of apartment buildings putting up giant ads on the top of their buildings to advertise they have units available. Usually RENT HERE 416-555-5555 etc.

Yes! So ghetto.

Apparently the city has problems with the use of the RCS due to the "advertising message". Equate them with illegal billboards.

How is this different from a newly built condo with those long banners on the side advertising "Decorated model suites! or Great suites still available! or Move in this year!"? I wish the city would get rid of these.

From Yonge/Gloucester this morning - making it's appearance above BA

Perhaps once the spire is up it will look like KPMG will have a spire on it from some angles, such as from the perspective in the above shot? Might make it more visually interesting...

Some construction photos for those interested;

Here is a closeup of the RCS, notice how the rail is attached to the wall, but doesn't actually lay against it (as a form would).

IMG_5952.jpg
IMG_5954.jpg

Here you can see the way it grabs the slab, again it doesn't actually contact it.

IMG_5953.jpg

cool and crazy stuff. must be off the hook when you're looking out the side, with no glass in the way, at the ledge of the concrete, looking down....

awesome photos! the glass looks great.

I actually gasped out loud when I scrolled down to this last pic by wopchop. For all of us fear-of-heights/weak-heart types.... Could you post a warning disclaimer that some people may lose their lunch with the next picture?

:D

Back