Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

I'm not that concerned if a particular building facade looks 'dated' (who decides this?) or not. These building are going to be there for a long time -- many decades at least. Buildings aren't hairstyles or items of clothing. All buildings will look 'dated' for most of their lifespan, so I am a lot more concerned with the quality of materials, fit and finish than with the particular style it is built in.

Ditto with "freshness"--heck, there's an argument that Trump looks less "fresh" than Bay-Adelaide. (And why not. The design's older.)

Are you talking about those Crsytal blue with those cut out blue things in the wall, I say God nooooo. I think the facade looks with its surrounding but then again I look at the surrounding more due to my urban planning backround.

Are you talking about those Crsytal blue with those cut out blue things in the wall, I say God nooooo. I think the facade looks with its surrounding but then again I look at the surrounding more due to my urban planning backround.

wow I really chopped that up.. pays to edit before sending.

It was a slow day yesterday topside - I expect due to the rain. Workers are now preparing to pour the floor for the west side of the current floor.

Ditto with "freshness"--heck, there's an argument that Trump looks less "fresh" than Bay-Adelaide. (And why not. The design's older.)

Well 'fresh' in the sense that I don't see a lot of buildings around Toronto that look like Trump but BA on the other hand...

Toronto hasn't been known for PoMo, despite developing a large collection of buildings in the style. Trump seems fresh but it's probably the last breaths of the style in the form it took when it went mainstream in the 1980s.

This style is a perfect fit with the broad shouldered neighbours along Bay St.
It's all about context and scale... we're not Dubai thank god! :)

And "dated" or not, it is certainly doing a great job of hiding that parking garage. If you really look, you can tell, but most people won't even notice.

Seeing the cars and perhaps some of the concrete behind the glass might actually be a unique and interesting sight, particularly if they will be well designed high-end cars. The problem with typical multi-storey aboveground parking garages in terms of aesthetics is quite fundamental: usually there is nothing architecturally redeeming redeeming about them. From their exteriors they look like concrete shells of buildings with completely open, windowless sections between sections of generic concrete cladding. This one will receive premium cladding and windows and is fully architecturally integrated into what looks like it will be an attractive skyscraper.

And "dated" or not, it is certainly doing a great job of hiding that parking garage. If you really look, you can tell, but most people won't even notice.

I agree... the cladding does an excellent job in covering things up as it is placed parallel to the ground (unlike the slanted parking garage floors)... It hides all the mess underneath it...

Its gonna be cool to see the indoor parking garage with glass around it... It'll be like being completely indoors... (its probably gonna be a super luxury garage too!)

Back