Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

I have a nice view of Trump from my place. Now that i know how to upload pictures I can post photo updates. Not today because I'm still in Vancouver.

I have a nice view of Trump from my place. Now that i know how to upload pictures I can post photo updates. Not today because I'm still in Vancouver.

More the merrier

Can someone remind me why above grade parking was allowed on this building? I thought it was one of the reasons the Sapphire tower was rejected. And why can't they put parking underground? What's underground instead?

Can someone remind me why above grade parking was allowed on this building? I thought it was one of the reasons the Sapphire tower was rejected. And why can't they put parking underground? What's underground instead?

I may be speaking out of turn, but I'm certain it had to do with the city's existing infrastructure underground. The building does go down several floors, but they exist for deliveries, etc. I don't believe it was feasible to dig any deeper than they did.

I am I close to the truth on this one?

^Yes, I think you are, and I think it also had to do with the size of the required foundation support and associated lack of space given the small lot size. Putting the parking above-ground was really the only option given all the other things going on below ground.

Whats wrong with above ground parking? If more buildings did this we might have a 500 ft list instead of a 400 ft list of buildings in this city (a la Chicago). And its not like the parking levels are going to be left unfinished or anything like that... the facade will be of granite and glass and will give no hint as to the usage of these lower floors.

Doesn't it sort of create large expanses of big blank walls though? I'd have thought this wouldn't be great for vitality at the street level.

They're only blank if the architect wants them to be. 18 Yonge has above grade parking, and so does Pinnacle, but it's all disguised with glass.

Trump does have a really shallow basement tho, and I'm not entirely sure why. Two basement levels for 60 some-odd storeys seems a bit unusual for Toronto

I used to walk by this site daily when it was in the excatvation and foundation phase, and I seem to recall that the excavation and foundations were much, much deeper than 2 levels (probably more like 6, at least). As someone else has mentioned above, I beleive that becuase the foundations take up so much space below level B2, only two below-grade floors of parking (i.e., the turntable for delivery trucks) are possible.

current posted this on 8/12/08:

2754979887_1e932c6048_b.jpg

You can count the sections of scaffold stairs and see it's three and a half sets of stairs to the bottom of the hole (two flights of stairs cover one floor). The foundation was probably 8-10 feet thick, so that's one set of stairs, and the remaining two and a half sets tell you it was two storeys below grade. Might've looked deeper because of how narrow the hole was, but for comparison go swing by Shangri-La or Burano to see what six storeys really looks like

They are still building the formwork before pouring the floor for what appears to be the 13th (if it will bear that number) floor (being the "12th level, hotel rooms", as described in the stacking plan). I have just noticed that the formwork in the south east corner (extending for about one sixth of the floor) appears sunken by a few feet compared to the formwork for the rest of the floor. Anyone know what the story is with this? Here's a poor quality shot (a bit blurry with flash off for no internal reflection) of what I'm seeing.

Attachments

• TT 13th floor.jpg
    TT 13th floor.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 208

Back