Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

With the suites getting "private" elevators, it's likely that the shafts are separated by some space...

...which might allow more than one crane to fit on the tight site. They'd have to have short rear booms.

Could they use a portable crane like BA has been doing? I am skeptical due to the small size of the site, but maybe where the cement truck is shown in Current's photos (post 1737)

Fantastic! I am so excited to see the cranes be installed soon. Watch this tower rise quickly too! You'll see.

AND to all those bitter and cynic folks who thought this project would never rise...may you forever be taunted and teased by the reality that this wondeful project will be built and IS being built...bigger, better and beautiful than ever.

GO TRUMP!

Fantastic! I am so excited to see the cranes be installed soon. Watch this tower rise quickly too! You'll see.

AND to all those bitter and cynic folks who thought this project would never rise...may you forever be taunted and teased by the reality that this wondeful project will be built and IS being built...bigger, better and beautiful than ever.

GO TRUMP!

QFT. We should gather all the pessimistic posts into one and taunt/ridicule those people once the cranes are in place.

QFT. We should gather all the pessimistic posts into one and taunt/ridicule those people once the cranes are in place.

I had thought of doing that too -- there are so many negative posts saying that this project would never start, let alone be completed, or that this was a big scam, etc. There are a number of big names on this board who I am sure are hoping that their numerous 'Trump will never happen' posts have been forgotten.

I had thought of doing that too -- there are so many negative posts saying that this project would never start, let alone be completed, or that this was a big scam, etc. There are a number of big names on this board who I am sure are hoping that their numerous 'Trump will never happen' posts have been forgotten.

I think the bigger scam (I hope not) will turn out to be 1BE.

there are so many negative posts saying that this project would never start, let alone be completed, or that this was a big scam, etc. There are a number of big names on this board who I am sure are hoping that their numerous 'Trump will never happen' posts have been forgotten.

Maybe we should name some names to get them to fess up to their rediculous negativity. Valentino anyone?

GO TRUMP!

Well, I wouldn't start cheering yet. They have only dug a hole. The building still doesn't technically exist :p

Here are a few posts from the first few pages of this thread -- I have no time right now to look through the entire thing.

AlchemisTO

Trump will never get built. The prevailing attitudes towards architecture in Toronto have evolved dramatically since even the second Zeidler design of TTT was unveiled in (I might be wrong about the exact date) late 2001.

Both inside and out, the conservative opulent style of the Trump tower has dated considerably in just five years. TTT belongs to the last generation of condo towers, like 1 King West, the Waterclub, or NY Towers which look and feel as if they were ClipArt images for corporate boardroom presentations, rather than solid, urban buildings crafted by professional architects. By contrast, condo towers like Kohn Pedersen Fox's Ritz Carlton, aA's Four Seasons and Yansong Ma's Absolute are the ones that are at the forefront of design today.

If you took a 10 year old Mercedes that had never once been driven and tried to sell it at a 2006 sticker price, it would never leave the lot. Ditto the Trump Tower design and its exorbitant prices. This project is dead.

urbanto

The deal is dead. The developer abandoned ship long ago. He's just trying to save face now but unloading it to a local developer who can try and salvage the dynamite zoning for the property. Someone with real development experience will pick it up for the right price and make the site work. DT's glitzy concept would never fly in this banal town.

Note that both posters say that Trump is dead, but for opposite reasons. AlchemisTO says it's dead because it's too out of date, and urbanto says it's dead because it's too innovative.

And we don't know that they're actually building the tower. Maybe they're really laying foundations for a 300-foot doorknob? Construction workers are crafty that way.

from Daily Commercial News, confirming what marcus aj posted....

May 12, 2008

Construction team ready to raise cranes on Trump’s Toronto site

TORONTO

Construction is well under way on Toronto’s $500-million Trump International Hotel & Tower, located at 325 Bay Street, in the heart of the city’s financial and business district.

With excavation and drilling nearing an end, the developers and construction team begin preparing for the next chapter of expansion.

The five-star, 60-storey, project ceremonially broke ground on October 12, 2007, and official construction began November 12, 2007.

As Toronto remains a hot spot during a period of increased activity in the construction sector, access to trades people continues to be a challenge for the industry as a whole.

In terms of the next visible signs of construction, cranes will be raised on the site during the weekend of May 31st, and concrete is scheduled to be poured for the footings of the building shortly thereafter.

The footings of this building will be nine feet deep, as opposed to the standard size that typically measure between two to three feet.

“I have never seen such unusually deep footings, and this is testament to the height and slenderness of the building, which will truly be impressive,†said Lyndon Devaney, Principal Architect with Zeidler Partnership Architects.

Here are a few posts from the first few pages of this thread -- I have no time right now to look through the entire thing.

AlchemisTO

urbanto

Note that both posters say that Trump is dead, but for opposite reasons. AlchemisTO says it's dead because it's too out of date, and urbanto says it's dead because it's too innovative.
BURN THEM AT THE STAKE RAAAAAGH~!!!

I don't see any problem with those speculative predictions. They were perfectly reasonable given what we knew. This project has had serious credibility issues from inception, and if you insist on denying that, then maybe we should be digging up your posts instead of theirs.

BURN THEM AT THE STAKE RAAAAAGH~!!!

I don't see any problem with those speculative predictions. They were perfectly reasonable given what we knew. This project has had serious credibility issues from inception, and if you insist on denying that, then maybe we should be digging up your posts instead of theirs.

Go right ahead. I know that I never made any 'predictions' remotely like these, since I always tried to keep my posts based on known facts. Any 'credibility issues' were vastly overblown by the anti-Trump types on this board. It is true that the name 'Trump' does not come to mind when thinking of the top developers, and that the project was subject to unfortunate, albeit understandable, delays, but feelings of distaste for the man do not mean that the project was doomed to fail, nor do delays (which are fairly common in projects of this size) -- and both posts were categorical that the building would never be built. I got the strong impression at the time that the nay-sayers were hoping that the project would fail (most likely due to dislike of Donald Trump the man), and turned that hope into belief that nothing would be built on that site.

Back