Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Wow you have to be fast to post here.... I will not post the same pictures. I was pretty excited to have a photo of the glass being installed. We might have actually been on location at the same time.

IMG_7167.JPG
IMG_7164.JPG

Last edited:
Now I wish the roof is glass too.
Part of the roof will be glass - the central atrium between the two "bars" - you will be able to see the cupola of the St. Lawrence Hall from the new market. A portion of the barrel roof will be a green roof, with the rest being very interesting looking ventilation system.

AoD

March 25, 2022

(The orange, Beck taxi in the last pic was semi-intentional.)

View attachment 387869

View attachment 387870

View attachment 387871
I’m often arguing that public land development should include mid to high rise housing (the single storey station boxes on ECLRT make me crazy) but I have to say, they got the scale right on this. And it makes me think that a similar scale is probably appropriate for the library just south of the market recently announced. Although the ROW of the Esplanade is tighter than Front as seen in your pics above, so maybe that suggests a little moderation.

Anyways these are the first pics I’ve seen that show the scale in context, especially looking up Market Street, and…. Kudos. Good pics of a good project.

If for whatever reasons the courts ever move out of this building in the future, clearing out the internal walls on the top floor would make for one grand space.

AoD

I think they went glazing to allow as much light in as possible to give it an airy market vibe and to provide contrast to the main market across the street.

This project seems to have a very "European" vibe to it.

I think it's the combination of confident contemporary design with tasteful details and respectful contextualism that celebrates its surroundings.

The tasteful contextualism will be especially apparent when you see the central atrium framing a view of St. Lawrence Hall's cupola.

I think it's the combination of confident contemporary design with tasteful details and respectful contextualism that celebrates its surroundings.

The tasteful contextualism will be especially apparent when you see the central atrium framing a view of St. Lawrence Hall's cupola.
Exactly. If only more projects in Toronto actually ~ had a 'dialogue' with the nearby heritage buildings.

Back