Toronto St Lawrence Condos at 158 Front | 91.44m | 26s | Cityzen | a—A

I think developers who want to use there lots as parking lots should have a requirement placed upon them to completely repave the lot and add some sort of low fencing and landscaping around the perimeter - crumbling pavement and overgrown weeds shouldn't be allowed.

When they got permission from the Committee of Adjustment to open this lot they got permission for "less than 99 cars" and were told they had to do some landscaping. I understand that the City is now trying to get them to live up to these conditions.

Their plan is at: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/154front_parking.pdf

Last edited:
Yup it has been repaved with fresh asphalt. I don't see why they should be forced to fence anything off, its a parking lot, not an F-1 track.

Look, I'm all for landscaping to soften the impact of an ugly surface parking lot - but fencing is impractical and prohibitive. Does it really make sense to have people funneled off into choke points after they exit their cars? People want to take the shortest path - surrounding the lot with fencing and only providing a few exits is senseless

they're packing in about 120 cars a day, full by 9am.
www.targetpark.ca

$8 a day 6a-6p
$5 after 4pm
$140 for monthly pass.
That's because they've undercut the surrounding lots. However the lot that is kitty-corner to them at Front/Sherbourne has dropped their daily rate now from $9 to $7, as their lot had become quite empty.

Look, I'm all for landscaping to soften the impact of an ugly surface parking lot - but fencing is impractical and prohibitive. Does it really make sense to have people funneled off into choke points after they exit their cars? People want to take the shortest path - surrounding the lot with fencing and only providing a few exits is senseless

Did you look at the plan? There are 5 large planters but I see no "fencing". The City design standards may suggest a low fence to stop cars driving over and/or blocking the sidewalk. I don't think anyone is asking for a "fence".

Seriously? Put two gaps/exits on all sides. I don't think we'll have 200 people all heading for the "choke points " at once, use your head. I'm talking about a low 1-2 foot fence that looks nice defines the space and makes having a parking lot here look aesthetically more pleasing it's not to keep people in or out. Didn't think I would have to explain this as I mentioned it with landscaping requirements.

Seriously? Put two gaps/exits on all sides. I don't think we'll have 200 people all heading for the "choke points " at once, use your head. I'm talking about a low 1-2 foot fence that looks nice defines the space and makes having a parking lot here look aesthetically more pleasing it's not to keep people in or out. Didn't think I would have to explain this as I mentioned it with landscaping requirements.

Lol sorry I thought you meant a real fence as opposed to something smaller like planters - so you didn't have to get all mouthy. As for the choke point, I certainly wasn't suggesting that 200 people would all head for the breaks in the fencing at once - nor do I have any idea how you extracted that from my post. What I was trying to say is that funneling people out through exits is inconvenient for the those who choose to park there. Unless the low fence had several breaks in it, frustrated parkers would trample over the planters/fencing to get where they are going faster. It is the same concept as foot traffic through a park - people take the shortest path. If a parking lot was fenced in to accommodate this - obviously by putting a break in the fence every few meters - then all would be well.

parking price is back up to $10

the lot is fully by 9am weekdays.. 1/5th the cars are double parked having to leave their keys with the guy in the booth. must be making some good money these folks...

Just a reminder that the OMB appeal (by Cityzen) on the two 26-storey tower proposal will start at 10am on Monday 15 October (16th floor, 655 Bay Street). Information on the City response is available at: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/154_front.htm The Design Review Panel'' comments on it are at: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/design_review/drp_meeting_minutes_july12.pdf

DSC: Do you know what the outcome was of the October 15th OMB hearing?

The subject site appears in the centre of this photo, taken November 24, 2012 from the east.

IMG_0663.jpg

Back