Toronto St Lawrence Condos at 158 Front | 91.44m | 26s | Cityzen | a—A

Tripped over this 1932 photo of the gas station that used to be at the northeast corner of Front and Sherbourne that is now 154 Front.

Also noticed the old streetcar tracks are starting to show on Sherbourne, just south of Front. Don't think they've been used in 65 years ...

s0071_it9409.jpg

Tripped over this 1932 photo of the gas station that used to be at the northeast corner of Front and Sherbourne that is now 154 Front.

Also noticed the old streetcar tracks are starting to show on Sherbourne, just south of Front. Don't think they've been used in 65 years ...

Nice photo but this is on the east side of Front & Sherbourne and 154 Front is on west side of Front & Sherbourne. The current station seems to be changing from an Esso Station to ???. The Esso signs have been removed for several weeks but no new ownership has yet appeared.

The old streetcar tracks were last used in the late 1940s and were part of the Sherbourne Street line.

Nice photo but this is on the east side of Front & Sherbourne and 154 Front is on west side of Front & Sherbourne.
That was what I thought at first as well. However the archival description clearly says "The item is a photograph of a view of Service Station Front & Shrbourne Streets northwest corner of Front and Sherbourne Streets". Also if this was the northeast corner, that would mean tracks went east along Front from Sherbourne, and I don't believe that they did.

If you look at the 1924 Fire insurance map shows that the northeast corner is mostly empty, while the northwest corner had buildings right to the corner.

Finally, in the background is the Christie factory that the 1924 maps show was at the northwest corner of Frederick and King.

So that's definitely 154 Front. But as I said, I thought it was the northeast at first as well. I'd guess there's going to be some soil to clean-up before they start digging foundations ...

Last edited:
The OMB has just ruled to allow a temporary parking lot on the site and has agreed they can have one, for 2 years. Too bad because the zoning clearly says "here shall be no new surface parking lots". The OMB Decision is at http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/154 Front OMB decision.pdf

The developer's appeal on the actual building starts 15 October and after this I bet he is sorry he didn't apply for 47 floors. Sigh!

The OMB has just ruled to allow a temporary parking lot on the site and has agreed they can have one, for 2 years. Too bad because the zoning clearly says "here shall be no new surface parking lots". The OMB Decision is at http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/154 Front OMB decision.pdf

The developer's appeal on the actual building starts 15 October and after this I bet he is sorry he didn't apply for 47 floors. Sigh!

Surface lots suck, but if you've walked by there later and seen what it looks like now (crumbling uneven surfaces, ugly temporary fencing, weeds taking over already) then perhaps a maintained lot would be the lesser of evils.

Wasn't around yesterday but this apparently popped up in a matter of hours and is run by Target Park

I was there yesterday and in between 12 and 3:30 there were 2 workers painting over existing paint lines in black paint and applying yellow parking lines. At least the good news is that all the ugly blue fencing has been removed..

I think developers who want to use there lots as parking lots should have a requirement placed upon them to completely repave the lot and add some sort of low fencing and landscaping around the perimeter - crumbling pavement and overgrown weeds shouldn't be allowed.

Back