News   Jul 26, 2024
 343     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 898     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 792     1 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

awesome crackpott!

like i said, let the WCC see your stuff. the more help they get, the better.

The Eglinton line would seem like overkill with this Weston/DRL unless the city went Avenues-crazy.

Not every one want to go downtown. We do need at least one additional east-west line. That should be Eglinton though Sheppard could substitute I suppose.

If that Weston line was built, the Eglinton West subway would be effectively not be needed unless there was major redevelopments. The Eglinton East line would still be viable, but not 'needed' as much as a dual-extended Sheppard line. Eglinton would still be great for the city, just not right now if that orange line (edit - and a finished Sheppard line) was built first, in my opinion.

I think Eglinton subway line would be much more beneficial to the city, even if it is more expensive. Even if the city decided to build the DRL, it is the portion along Don Mills that should get top priority, not the Weston part.

I oppose extneding the University line past Steeles, cuz the only real benefit of that would be to connect to YRT route 77, which only gets 2000 riders per weekday.

"I think Eglinton subway line would be much more beneficial to the city, even if it is more expensive. Even if the city decided to build the DRL, it is the portion along Don Mills that should get top priority, not the Weston part."

More beneficial than the Weston line? Well, I disagree. I really like the Weston line - it would take virtually all the steam out of the Eglinton West proposal, including getting people in the NW downtown quicker and connecting to Peel Region and the airport. Eglinton East has more potential anyway...it's already much busier.

Don Mills could/should have had rapid transit 20 years ago...it's punch-you-in-the-face obvious.

crackpott, I love your map -- throw sheppard on there, maybe eglinton some day, and Toronto's subway is basically done!

Seriously, it's the most realistic approach to covering the city that I've seen yet.

I just wish someone at the TTC would pay attention...

Well, that and the Weston people be more logical. When I outlined the added two stops I put on the line to the woman I interviewed, she said that they were too close to other stops. Oak St. I can live without, but to say there shouldn't be a stop for Cityplace/Skydome when it's still 1 km from Union is ridiculous...

I'm not the most informed person about transit, but I have to say that the Union-Pearson leg of that map makes an awful lot of sense to me, more than most proposals around. Quite often I've been at Queen & the railway tracks and thought how awesome and right a subway stop would be right there.

I would propose calling the "Cityplace" stop, rather "Dome & Tower". I always thought that would be a great name for a subway stop.

I originally had it as Skydome then realized "Crap... can't name it that without Rogers getting all pissy..."

Changes I would make to the map:

Your Weston-Front-Don Mills line I would only run from Eglinton West down to Union Station – and then stopping near Cherry Rd.

I would add in the Eglinton W. line to the airport (half the trains would short-turn at the intersection of the Weston line for now). Half the trains from the airport would turn down the Weston line to Cherry Rd. Add in signs (like London tube system) that indicate the time til the next train and how route (lists up to 3 trains ahead).

Extend the Sheppard line from Downsview down through Scarborough TC and loop back on Bloor line. Demolish the Scarborough RT line.

Any expansion of the subway system would be dependant on any stop location allowing for substantial increases in population (rezone ahead of time). The expropriated land for the subway stop (as each one is added) would have either hi-density mixed usage / condo / office space -- which would require sidewalk frontage -- and would be developed at the same time -- to offset some of the cost of the subway station. No development -- no station.

cacruden...

Can you outline why you would do that? I just don't see the point when it would be more expensive to do your plan, and still leave the northwest of the city with horrible transit. One of the main benefits of the Weston line is that it finally gives transit to Rexdale, which is actually pretty dense and nowhere near any rapid transit line. Also, stopping at Cherry St. seems pretty strange. If you are going to take it past Union, you may as well connect it back to Bloor to form a DRL rather than a stub line that only goes a few stops.

As for the "Half the trains would turn down the weston line..." For one, the TTC isn't very fond of interlining. Secondly, that would mean that service on Eglinton West in the most busy part would be half that of what service would be in the suburban expressway corridor. There's no reason the area around Islington and Eglinton should have more frequent trains than around Eglinton and Dufferin.

Taking Sheppard from Downsview to STC I agree with, although I don't think it should loop back to bloor, as a line of that length is bound to cause more problems and delays than two lines would cause, and I don't think many would go east just to go back west, so transfers at STC wouldn't be as heavy as one might think. It'd be better just to have Bloor extended out there to meet up with Sheppard, but not merge into one line.

I just question the economic sense of building the Eglinton line now when it's almost certainly more expensive than the Weston one, quite possibly up to twice the cost, and may actually have less of a benefit.

^
Re: Eglinton line, the only destinations on Eglinton that I can think of are Yonge and Eg., Ontario Science Centre and Celestica. The first is already served, and the last two can be served by your line. But there are are a lot of trip originators on Eglinton, but your line would be much easier to implement.

Where exactly is your proposed Wynford stop? Near Celestica or near the Wynford Dr. condos?

Also, will all these stops be on the existing corridor or will there be some tunneling to take the subway to already existing centres of activity (e.g. East York Centre in Thorncliffe)?

Regarding the poorly-thought out, google-earth viewed, decided "Hey, these look big..." Don Mills part of my line, Wynford was just going to be Eglinton and Don Mills, and regarding tunneling, under the current map it'd be tunneled pretty much from the rail line in Riverdale north. A cheaper, though less useful version could be built if you followed the Don Valley, or failing that as it's difficult to access, the rail line that crosses Don Mills just north of Eglinton, but then you're not saving a lot of money, and you're missing part of the denser neighborhoods.

Make no mistake, my Don Mills part wasn't thoroughly planned. I just figured that I might as well extend the weston line to serve the east as well.

I really like that the Woodbine line comes up to meet Dundas West as a GO interchange -- wonder whether the eastern leg couldn't find a way to come up through to Main Street rather than Pape, to give the same one-shot access to the GO train from that side of things. Though, yeah, it is a bit of a stretch...

Back