Mississauga Square One Expansions and Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

The last time I talked to management last year, they said there was to be announcement coming soon for the theater, but nothing has surface yet.

All entrance are being rebuilt with sliding doors to meet accessibility standards. At the same time, that entrance has to redone to deal with the plan LRT ROW that will be on part of Sq One Mall land on Duke of York.

That end has been a white elephant since it was built and should be torn down and rebuilt.

LRT Loop has been cut by Ford. LRT will now just go straight down Hurontario to Lakeshore. It has nothing to do with "rider convenience".

I'm sure the developers of M City and Amacon will not be pleased.

LRT Loop has been cut by Ford. LRT will now just go straight down Hurontario to Lakeshore. It has nothing to do with "rider convenience".

I'm sure the developers of M City and Amacon will not be pleased.

View attachment 177971
I guess you think spending an extra 15-20 minutes travel time around the loop as well transferring from one train to another is Rider convenience??? With the stub track now, you will spend 10 minute extra travel time going in and out of the Sq One stop with no transfer.

Today on average, route 19 riders spend 15 minutes travel going to/from the bus terminal compare to the 2 minutes the 103 needs to by pass the terminal. This is on a good day for 19. I use the 103 now it is down to 10 minute headway compare to the 25-15 minutes that it had years ago.

If the goal is to move riders north-south to use the Cooksville GO station and have them leave the car at home, the loop defeats doing this.

Amacon Parkside development was never based on an LRT when it was first proposed since the LRT plan never existed in the first place. People can catch the 28 bus that goes to Cooksville GO station or walk a block or two to catch a bus that will take them to the LRT stop.

As for M City, again the LRT will be 3-5 blocks away from a loop stop and they have a choice of 6, 28, 91 and 26 that will take them to an LRT stop. They can also catch the 28 that will take them to/from the GO Station. Again, M City has been on the books for decades, but the LRT help to kick start it now, but most will be car folks living there

Once again, to service a small number of riders with top service, the rest of the riders have to deal with longer trips and that pure wrong.

The bus terminal ended up where it is today as the city refused to pay more for the land in the first place. This also apply to the Hersey Centre as well which the city has regretted doing in the first place.

I guess the day the loop is built, I will be driving again full time and giving up on transit in the city.

According to the Downtown 21 master plan, the main goal for the city is to turn this area into an employment hub, rather than a giant shopping mall, soon to be a giant food court. This is why the city wants the loop. It's Easier to attract the office employment the city is looking for and to accomplish its Downtown 21 plan. The Rathburn LRT stop will help with this goal between Rathburn and the 403, but according to the plan the city wants it to encompass the whole downtown area. (Hurontario-Confederation, Burnhamthorpe-403). It will be interesting to see how hard the city fights for the loop.

According to the Downtown 21 master plan, the main goal for the city is to turn this area into an employment hub, rather than a giant shopping mall, soon to be a giant food court. This is why the city wants the loop. It's Easier to attract the office employment the city is looking for and to accomplish its Downtown 21 plan. The Rathburn LRT stop will help with this goal between Rathburn and the 403, but according to the plan the city wants it to encompass the whole downtown area. (Hurontario-Confederation, Burnhamthorpe-403). It will be interesting to see how hard the city fights for the loop.
That maybe the City goal, but until the cheap employment land is used up, not going to happen as fast as some like to see it. The Vacancy Rate is higher than it should be.

Until the elephant in the city core remain as is, there will be no downtown as vision. Need to start there first.

Most of the employment towers will be near Hurontario and beside it according to a few land owners

Not a strong support of Downtown 21 since I see a better plan than the one plan, as well more people in the area. The City still think small, but M City is breaking that thinking.

If The Sq One Lands are develop right, you will have a city within a city and being saying this for over 10 years to council.

That maybe the City goal, but until the cheap employment land is used up, not going to happen as fast as some like to see it. The Vacancy Rate is higher than it should be.

Until the elephant in the city core remain as is, there will be no downtown as vision. Need to start there first.

Most of the employment towers will be near Hurontario and beside it according to a few land owners

Not a strong support of Downtown 21 since I see a better plan than the one plan, as well more people in the area. The City still think small, but M City is breaking that thinking.

If The Sq One Lands are develop right, you will have a city within a city and being saying this for over 10 years to council.
Since we know what the city wants, It will be interesting to see what Omers wants to do with the area. I believe they own most of it around SQ1. They could follow the model they are planning to use at Yorkdale and Scarborough Town Centre. With shopping habits changing and the need for brick and mortar locations in flux, developing the area for office employment and residential use could be a way to protect/increase the value of their assets. We may get a better idea when they reveal where the Cheesecake Factory will be as well as what they will do with Cineplex. location.

Since we know what the city wants, It will be interesting to see what Omers wants to do with the area. I believe they own most of it around SQ1. They could follow the model they are planning to use at Yorkdale and Scarborough Town Centre. With shopping habits changing and the need for brick and mortar locations in flux, developing the area for office employment and residential use could be a way to protect/increase the value of their assets. We may get a better idea when they reveal where the Cheesecake Factory will be as well as what they will do with Cineplex. location.
OMERS own all the land from 403 to Burnhamthorpe, Duke of York to City Centre and the area at Sq One Dr and Hurontario. Then there is the land from Duke of York to Confederation where Cineplex is. There is a debate if they own the land Between Sq One Dr and Rathburn-Duke of York and Confederation..

Don't support doing the same thing as STC for Sq One Mall, as the mall takes away what a downtown is to look like in the first place, as well limits development that could go there in the first place. No problem doing an Eaton Centre that will house more Sq foot and close to 500 shops. Other development needs to be above it.

April 6
Had my first look the new the Food District area and what a zoo. Try to take some photos, but the zoo people were killing the shot. Lot of new places that I have said that should be in there, but need to go back on a slow day to check all them out. Only one place not open yet.
33680827828_31b2547123_b.jpg

46642109505_0649c7a2f3_b.jpg

33680829688_caa856e6f8_b.jpg

46642109795_53a56593dc_b.jpg

40591593363_b1e3db662d_b.jpg

46642110295_64193a17ff_b.jpg

40591593883_371012be14_b.jpg

47557719171_b0bde5344a_b.jpg

47557719531_c4b2d5df8a_b.jpg

Would be great if one day there were 30-100 floors above these stores, all parking put underground, a subway stop, and the above ground parking lot developed into the other side of the street.

Would be great if one day there were 30-100 floors above these stores, all parking put underground, a subway stop, and the above ground parking lot developed into the other side of the street.
It's the white elephant for the city trying to create Downtown 21

I see the mall being 1/6 of the current size in a building that will house more stores and have a larger sq meter of space. The whole area would see no surface parking with all parking underground on a street grid. Development would be built over the new Sq 1 mall. There would be a new transit hub to the east to support 125-200,000 daily riders. It would be service by BRT, a number of LRT, GO EMU's, Current transit systems and provision for a subway long ways down the road.

The city keeps saying the sky is the limit to height and why stop at 100 story tower and why not shoot for 140?

You can put a city within a city for Sq 1 land easy.

You would still have a road surface grid for emergency and pedestrian only.

Agreed - that looks shockingly cheap, which clashes with the decor of the individual stores (with period stained wood, etc) pretty badly. Couldn't they have at least painted the ceiling/fixtures black? The first thing it does right now is draw the eyes up the mess on the ceiling.

Outlet mall decor for non-outlet prices I am sure.

AoD

Last edited:
I guess you think spending an extra 15-20 minutes travel time around the loop as well transferring from one train to another is Rider convenience??? With the stub track now, you will spend 10 minute extra travel time going in and out of the Sq One stop with no transfer.

I do if I live at the west end of the “loop” - where most of Mississauga’s condos are now or are being built.

Back