Toronto Spire Condos | 144.77m | 45s | Context Development | a—A

Yikes! It comes in different qualities?

I'll wander over and see ...

( babel exits, excitedly ).

Simple details like the painted undersides of balconies and the yellow panels make the building unique when compared to anything at City Place and buildings like Pinnicle and 18 Yonge. A good enough reason for me to accept them as they are.

I'd also swear that this building is already at its stated height of 476'. Viewed it from the lake the other day and it seems to be higher than CIBC north. Probably an illusion. Still could the 476' height be exclusive of the mechanical floors?

Are the mechanical floors being worked on now or is there still another floor or two of residential space? I haven't been down there in over a month.

I walked past today and yes, I am not sure I dislike the quality of the precast as much as I dislike that there is so much of it.

Cassiusa: they are on the 44th floor now, with one more residential floor to go and then, I believe, 2 levels of mechanical.
The last communication I had from Context earlier this week suggested that it would be completely topped out by second week of August.

Spire, viewed from the east, say Eastern Avenue by the DVP while out at the BMW dealership showing one's nephew around the commercial architectural wonders of the Big TO, looks absolutley tiny when compared with the bank towers. Teensy tiny. I mean it still looks impressively large when one is up close, but head over to Eastern Avenue by the DVP some evening while out at the BMW dealership showing one's nephew around the commercial architectural wonders of the Big TO, and you'll see what I mean.

Walls going up for floor 44. Next week the 45th floor will appear. It should top off sometime in August I would think.

I keep watching for a tree to get hoisted up on the crane.

I walked past today and yes, I am not sure I dislike the quality of the precast as much as I dislike that there is so much of it.

That's really what I'm getting at. Totally nitpicking -- Spire is gorgeous. But using precast and not brick, a la the very similar Woodsworth College podium, seems cheap and incongruous.

( returns, all sweaty )

Of greater interest to me than the precast is the sleek, taut beauty of the design and how it grants a slightly different look to each side of the building. And how sparingly the zippy yellow panels are used to add visual punctuation, and how subtly the other vertical strips of cladding ( in two tones of grey, alternating as they go up the building ) are used for the same purpose. On the low rise block too.

Ed's fifth photograph, from July 17th, shows clearly how finely balanced the few yellow panels are - in terms of their visual weight - by the more numerous light grey panels. You really can't say that the one has more dominance than the other. Yet, for some reason, the yellow panels garner all the attention here.

Citywriter:

Are they really so similar? Woodsworth has small slitty vertical windows, eccentrically spaced ( well, I haven't been able to unlock the code of their placement, anyway ) within a large run of brick. It echoes the established style of the OISE podium across the street, which has similar slitty vertical windows.

The Spire podium is quite different: three strongly horizontal bands of windows that use the same multi-coloured cladding as the tower.

Regardless of the relative merits of the brick vs. precast camps to "quality-finish" fetishists, in terms of materials used, the Woodsworth podium stands in greater contrast to the tower above it.

Apropos of nothing, but Spire is one example of this trend - when a unit has floor to ceiling windows, I find that unless you have a large (1000 sq ft +) place, you are invariably faced with the difficult decision when moving in to:
a) block your lovely windows/view with sofas/entertainment units and the like;
b) squish everything in the interior of the room;
or c) sell all your stuff and stick to a chaise lounge + plasma TV

Having seen several places (fishbowls?) of friends and acquaintances, few have managed to carry off this choice with much luck.

Given the trend towards smaller units (and Spire seems to be predominantly sub 1000 sq ft) I wonder if buyers really contemplate this prior to moving in, particularly on a new project.

Sorry for the digression, please resume yellow panel discussion. :)

The inevitable tragicomic conclusion to a marketing trend that has convinced every second person to see themselves as an artists requiring a spacious uncluttered studio in which to live!

Spire-July28,06(1).jpg

Spire-July28,06(2).jpg

Spire-July28,06(3).jpg

Spire-July28,06(5).jpg

Back