Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

There's no crossover at St.Clair West - just the centre track north of the station.

For the record, this is also why there is one north of Glencairn, and why there was planned to be one between Wilson and Downsview Stations.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was referring to the use of the storage track north of St Clair West when they did they turnbacks there.

Agree 100% adding the UP Express to the overdoor TTC Subway maps for example would be easily doable as theres lots of space in the west and it would probably give the UP more exposure than any ad campaign ever. Coming from Vancouver its so stange to me how there aren't properly unified maps especially for AD2W services, lets remember the UP Express is essentially an RER line already in existence.

There are more than 4,000 maps across the TTC system that already show the regional rail network, including UPX. They could probably install some in trains, but it’s not like they don’t exist already.

Is there an upgraded track map for the TTC that includes the TYSSE? (location, platforms, centre track, crossovers, tail tracks, etc.)
There is this one http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-tram-toronto/ which shows the track and station details of the Line 1 extension.
The author has indicated that it will be updated shortly to show the changes in 2017 as well as numerous other additions and corrections.

So trains were turning back without any mention of shuttles. Is this the new norm?
Screenshot_20171230-115019.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171230-115019.jpg
    Screenshot_20171230-115019.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 349
Rode the subway extension for the first time last night. I was pretty impressed, it looks fairly well used and took about 45 mins from VMC to Union. VMC station has a long underground connection to the KPMG tower but on a cold night like last night at least keeps you inside away from the elements longer.

A few observations I made on my return trip around 10:30 pm

Downsview park station - very few passengers here, as mentioned this station appears to be dependent on connections with the Go station.
Finch West station - About a dozen or more passengers boarding/disembarking this station
York University station - Only a couple of passengers boarding/disembarking this station, I suspect this was not prime University student hours for this station
Pioneer Village station - About half a dozen, or more passengers boarding/disembarking this station
407 station - More than a dozen passengers boarding/disembarking this station. Presumably they are using the parking lot and coming in on the 407 from the East and West
VMC station - Well over 30 passengers disembarking here. The PPUD area was filled with cars waiting to pick up passengers and the parking lots (now charging a flat rate of $5) was about 40% full.

So while not a smashing success I would say the extension is getting some usage, and the area around VMC station seems to be coming along nicely. I note that there was a Toronto Raptors game last night and many of the passengers were coming from the game, however I suspect that Blue Jays game nights, Concerts, etc will see the same levels of usage (It's my experience that Maple Leafs games have the lowest level of transit usage so I do not include them) if not more so.

Agree 100% adding the UP Express to the overdoor TTC Subway maps for example would be easily doable as theres lots of space in the west and it would probably give the UP more exposure than any ad campaign ever
the simple reason is the TTC doesn't own or operate the Up Express so they don't need to show it on the overdoor subway maps or want to inserted they have chosen to promote the 192 airport rocket on the maps.

York University station - Only a couple of passengers boarding/disembarking this station, I suspect this was not prime University student hours for this station
York University is also currently on winter break until the start of the new year, so there likely aren't any students on campus this time of year except for maybe a few that don't go home for the break like international ones.

Those numbers of passengers could easily all fit on one or two buses. This new extension is grossly underused for the service provided. The TTC should consider turning back 1/2 trains at Sheppard West, especially during such low periods like evenings, weekends and holiday season. There is no need for 5 min service here.

It will be interesting to see some real numbers over 2018. I suspect they will be very low. Even before the extension the line was always empty north of Yorkdale. Once the mall closes the line is barely used in late night. There will be pressure to cut operating costs as this line will start draining TTC operation funds in 2018.

It will be interesting to see some real numbers over 2018. I suspect they will be very low. Even before the extension the line was always empty north of Yorkdale. Once the mall closes the line is barely used in late night. There will be pressure to cut operating costs as this line will start draining TTC operation funds in 2018.

In an election year I can see the province doing anything to save face rather than see service cut because of a newly opened white elephant. If nothing else they will blame York Region and modify the agreement.

Back