Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I completely agree about the transfers. And not only is the the vertical distance an issue, its also the fact that a lot of the bus connections are decentralized.

Finch West

The bus connections are split between two completely different locations. Those who are unfamiliar with the station or have to transfer buses might have a hard time.

img_4650-jpg.130571

This is ridiculous. Why build a bus terminal that can’t handle the demand? I hope they add a second platform either across from the main platform, or at least all services on the East Side. I never would have thought that the bus terminal would be under built.

This is ridiculous. Why build a bus terminal that can’t handle the demand? I hope they add a second platform either across from the main platform, or at least all services on the East Side. I never would have thought that the bus terminal would be under built.
I think it's actually better this way. Keele buses don't have to waste time going into a terminal, and can just stop outside the station and then continue their route.

They may have also done this with the Finch West LRT in mind since the 36 buses won't exist in 5 years.

Finch West

The bus connections are split between two completely different locations. Those who are unfamiliar with the station or have to transfer buses might have a hard time.

This is what the city should be doing more often. There's only a handful of stations where this is done (Dufferin, Bayview, Glencairn, not sure of others). At other stations buses waste a few minutes pulling into the station's bus loop.

Finch west is like that as the TTC knows that the LRT will replace most of the buses at the station soon. They underbuilt the bus terminal as the platforms likely would have only been used for 4 or 5 years before being useless. So buses stop on street until the LRT opens.

I noticed all the trains had an additional sound to them when in automatic train control from Sheppard West to Vaughn.It sounded a bit like a pickup truck with heavy duty tires on pavement. When the trains came into or left a station it was most noticeable.
Now,when the trains left Sheppard West on their way to Wilson that noise disappeared. So I assume ATC does something to the traction system to give it that noise?

Millions of dollars spent on station design and no bus shelters for YRT passengers at Vaughan Metropolitan Centre....

I noticed all the trains had an additional sound to them when in automatic train control from Sheppard West to Vaughn.It sounded a bit like a pickup truck with heavy duty tires on pavement. When the trains came into or left a station it was most noticeable.
Now,when the trains left Sheppard West on their way to Wilson that noise disappeared. So I assume ATC does something to the traction system to give it that noise?

It's because the third rails are rusted over, probably for being unused for so long. I assume the sound will disappear over time.

I really don't like how the TTC downplays the continued bus connections at York University. They mark VMC as the only Zum connection - but if you wanted to use Zum, you should get off at York U, where you have double or triple the buses heading to Brampton, depending on the time, and a faster route via Highway 407. There are no signs at the station either on how to get to GO/YRT/Zum buses.

The Highway 407 Station too isn't a great connection since it only serves Highway 407 buses heading west, along with the Route 40.

Back