Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

well york is the left wing hippy school of ontario... when i was there in 2009 they had a massive walkout from oct to feb when the same libs called for binding arbitration.
at least this time the school is somewhat open for classes. back then both campuses shut down for the almost the entire duration.
Hang on, isn’t WLU the left wing hippy school of Ontario? I mean, communications studies - whatever that is - was the second most popular major there in 2016.

Any updates on ridership numbers?
In the most recent (July) CEO report there's a brief comment (on page 7) that:

Initial ridership figures are in for the Line 1 subway extension into Vaughan, which opened last December. Data collected by counting actual boardings on subway platforms at each of the six stations shows that daily ridership is approximately 57,000, or around 74% of the 78,000 daily trips projected for once ridership matures in three years. Please note that ridership figures might be impacted as the count took place during the strike at York University.

So already higher than Sheppard, which was 47,780 in the most recent (2016) count.

By comparison, the Sheppard West (formerly Downsview) station ridership was 40,640 in the 2016 count. So presumably that's at least 16,000 new Line 1 riders. Presumably more if Sheppard West ridership is higher than zero!

Initial ridership figures are in for the Line 1 subway extension into Vaughan, which opened last December. Data collected by counting actual boardings on subway platforms at each of the six stations shows that daily ridership is approximately 57,000, or around 74% of the 78,000 daily trips projected for once ridership matures in three years. Please note that ridership figures might be impacted as the count took place during the strike at York University.

So already higher than Sheppard, which was 47,780 in the most recent (2016) count.

By comparison, the Sheppard West (formerly Downsview) station ridership was 40,640 in the 2016 count. So presumably that's at least 16,000 new Line 1 riders. Presumably more if Sheppard West ridership is higher than zero!
Does this also assume that the number of boardings did not go down at Wilson or Yorkdale - where potentially riders getting on at Vaughan Centre or 407 used to go.

Does this also assume that the number of boardings did not go down at Wilson or Yorkdale - where potentially riders getting on at Vaughan Centre or 407 used to go.
Yes. Big assumptions by me there! Which will most likely just make me the ass! :)

Really, we need more granular data before making any assumptions or conclusions!

Though I suppose we can conclude that ridership isn't exceeding expectations. But again, how much is the York strike impacting traffic?

My only personal observation is that riding it once, southbound from Highway 407 station at 7:30 pm on a Friday, I was surprised that there were other people on the platform, and other riders in the train! It felt busier than the Sheppard Subway does outside of rush-hour. Westbound on Sheppard at 7:30 pm at night can feel like a ghost-town - it always seems very quite outside of peak - even for contra-flow in the shoulders.

Last edited:
I imagine the York strike is having a big effect. Lets wait until September.

from what I have seen, ridership to Vaughan Centre is actually much higher than I expected. Nothing crazy.. but more than expected.

I imagine the York strike is having a big effect. Lets wait until September.

from what I have seen, ridership to Vaughan Centre is actually much higher than I expected. Nothing crazy.. but more than expected.

My personal non-scientific observation is that it has been much busier when the train arrives at Spadina & St George. And the Spadina Line always had had a huge variation when university students are off for the summer so i am very encouraged by the high numbers already.

Where do you get numbers to answer this?

My observations were based solely on a comparison between visual train capacity and station usage. Most stations on the TYSSE see fewer than 5 passengers waiting for a train in one direction. This is significantly worse than the current Sheppard subway, which can often see upwards of 10-15 people waiting for a train per station at bayview and Leslie. Don mills has very decent ridership that can easily fill half a train’s maximum capacity.

You say that the TYSSE has a higher ridership than the Sheppard subway, but what is failed to be acknowledged is that the TYSSE is much longer than the SS. On a per kilometre basis, the Sheppard subway sees about 8,690 daily P/km, while the TYSSE sees roughly 6,630 daily P/km, or 24% less than that of the Sheppard subway.

When we look at number of new stations on the line, Sheppard has 11,950 passengers per new station, while the TYSSE sees 9,500 passengers per new station — a difference of over 20%.

When we look at final ridership projections, daily ridership per kilometre for the TYSSE is about 9050 PPD, which isn’t much different from Sheppard ridership, especially since the line has seen 50K PPD in the past, meaning it’s ridership per kilometre then would be ~9100, the same as the TYSSE. The same trend can be seen with the per station analysis, especially when you factor in the high variability in Sheppard ridership.

Of course, all these are preliminary and actual ridership is yet to be determined, however, it’s always interesting analyzing what is currently available. A more accurate picture will be seen in 3 years, and I still have high hopes for the line, especially when the Finch West LRT is connected with the subway.

My observations were based solely on a comparison between visual train capacity and station usage. Most stations on the TYSSE see fewer than 5 passengers waiting for a train in one direction. This is significantly worse than the current Sheppard subway, which can often see upwards of 10-15 people waiting for a train per station at bayview and Leslie. Don mills has very decent ridership that can easily fill half a train’s maximum capacity.

You say that the TYSSE has a higher ridership than the Sheppard subway, but what is failed to be acknowledged is that the TYSSE is much longer than the SS. On a per kilometre basis, the Sheppard subway sees about 8,690 daily P/km, while the TYSSE sees roughly 6,630 daily P/km, or 24% less than that of the Sheppard subway.

When we look at number of new stations on the line, Sheppard has 11,950 passengers per new station, while the TYSSE sees 9,500 passengers per new station — a difference of over 20%.

When we look at final ridership projections, daily ridership per kilometre for the TYSSE is about 9050 PPD, which isn’t much different from Sheppard ridership, especially since the line has seen 50K PPD in the past, meaning it’s ridership per kilometre then would be ~9100, the same as the TYSSE. The same trend can be seen with the per station analysis, especially when you factor in the high variability in Sheppard ridership.

Of course, all these are preliminary and actual ridership is yet to be determined, however, it’s always interesting analyzing what is currently available. A more accurate picture will be seen in 3 years, and I still have high hopes for the line, especially when the Finch West LRT is connected with the subway.
The spadina subway is also 7 months old, the sheppard subway, 16 years. One has it's main ridership generator essentially shut down, another has condos popping up like weeds.

Trust me, Spadina will be better used than Sheppard.

Also, what I am interested to see is if the line is having the effect of relieving the Yonge side of the line as they had hoped. I recall projections of the extension removing about 8% of the load off the Yonge line.

It would be good to get data on how much ridership the condos along Sheppard have created.

Something that I've been meaning to point out for a while but never had the opportunity to post is that during the weekends there's a fare box that is brought out at VMC; the closest fare gate to the booth is locked open and a TTC employee does fare collection duties. This is to cope with the huge number of families, groups and other uninformed riders that are going through the station/getting onto the subway. I've only seen this during the weekends as this is when I mostly take the extension to downtown. It can be quite surprising to see the crowds milling about trying to purchase or load a Presto card. The single lonely Presto reload machine isn't enough to cope with the weekends (might be two machines, can't remember).

Back