Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Let's hope some savvy reporter at this Friday press conference asks how MiWay to Vaughan Central Committee to Toronto fares are going to work!

Thanks to @drum118 for posting in the TTC other items thread--TTC users are getting a $1.50 GO co-fare: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...sit-users-to-get-half-price-fares-on-ttc.html

I guess that answers the question of GO Train transfers at Downsview Park and GO Bus transfers at 407 West. I can very well see $1.50 being considered an acceptable co-fare, so they probably won't bother with doing the free rides to/from York U for GO riders at those two stations.

That's still $3.00 additional per GO customer per day for the privilege of making a new transfer that used to be a one-seat ride to York U.

I know that providing good public transit shouldn't be about giving everyone a one-seat ride, but that's going to hurt. I'm curious what GO Transit's messaging will be.

Let's hope some savvy reporter at this Friday press conference asks how MiWay to Vaughan Central Committee to Toronto fares are going to work!

You'd pay two discounted local transit. But if you're going to Toronto from Mississauga, this would be a really stupid way of doing it. Might as well ask how an Oshawa - Newmarket - Union Station fare is gonna work.

That's still $3.00 additional per GO customer per day for the privilege of making a new transfer that used to be a one-seat ride to York U.

I know that providing good public transit shouldn't be about giving everyone a one-seat ride, but that's going to hurt. I'm curious what GO Transit's messaging will be.

I think many of the people who take the York U bus aren't actually going to York U. I take the 47 semi-frequently, and on some eastbound trips (especially later in the evening), the Keele/Snidercroft stop is surprisingly popular. In fact, sometimes more people get off at Keele/Snidercroft than at York U. I've always wondered about this. Are they being picked up? I don't believe there's a park-and-ride lot there, and if I was transferring to the Keele bus, I would rather do it at York than at a roadside stop.

For those who are transferring to a TTC bus at York U, they already have to pay the full fare, so this will of course benefit them.

Last edited:
I think many of the people who take the York U bus aren't actually going to York U. I take the 47 semi-frequently, and on some eastbound trips (especially later in the evening), the Keele/Snidercroft stop is surprisingly popular. In fact, sometimes more people get off at Keele/Snidercroft than at York U. I've always wondered about this. Are they being picked up? I don't believe there's a park-and-ride lot there, and if I was transferring to the Keele bus, I would rather do it at York than at a roadside stop.

A lot of people continue north on Keele to the industrial areas north of Highway 7 after getting dropped off by the various 407 buses, some by coworkers and some by the 107 bus.

Keep in mind that the connection at York University is a long walk across a grassy field, whereas the connection at Snidercroft is merely across a signalized intersection - and that there is a Tim Horton's right there if the wait becomes extended. Plus, don't they still have the restriction where only southbound 107 buses run into the University in the mornings and northbounds in the afternoon?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

For those who are transferring to a TTC bus at York U, they already have to pay the full fare, so this will of course benefit them.

Good point. The change will also benefit commuters going across Highway 407 and not headed towards the subway.

The new problem that I see then is that if GO Transit serves Highway 407 station only, only YRT Route 20 will stop there. That's going to affect those GO passengers connecting with the YRT 22 Keele/King City (currently the TTC 107 Keele North).

The TTC, YRT, and Brampton Transit have made their planned routing changes (or lack of) public. GO Transit has not.

Good point. The change will also benefit commuters going across Highway 407 and not headed towards the subway.

The new problem that I see then is that if GO Transit serves Highway 407 station only, only YRT Route 20 will stop there. That's going to affect those GO passengers connecting with the YRT 22 Keele/King City (currently the TTC 107 Keele North).

The TTC, YRT, and Brampton Transit have made their planned routing changes (or lack of) public. GO Transit has not.

For me personally, I transfer to Viva at York U to go to Richmond Hill. I'm thinking that after the subway opens, I would transfer from the (GO) 47 to the 52 at Highway 407 Station (or the 40, it it'll stop there), then transfer to Viva at Richmond Hill Centre. Of course, it would be better if the 47 was extended to RHC, but either way I would probably have to pay a little more. Otherwise I would have to do GO 47 > TTC Subway/YRT 20 > Viva Orange > Viva Purple. The YRT 20 option would probably be very difficult to do late evenings, and the subway option would cost me an extra $1.50 just to ride one stop. Either option would increase travel time.

Last edited:
For me personally, I transfer to Viva at York U to go to Richmond Hill. I'm thinking that after the subway opens, I would transfer from the (GO) 47 to the 52 at Highway 407 Station (or the 40, it it'll stop there), then transfer to Viva at Richmond Hill Centre. Of course, it would be better if the 47 was extended to RHC, but either way I would probably have to pay a little more. Otherwise I would have to do GO 47 > TTC Subway/YRT 20 > Viva Orange > Viva Purple. The YRT 20 option would probably be very difficult to do late evenings, and the subway option would cost me an extra $1.50 just to ride one stop. Either option would increase travel time.

It'd be a good time to restructure the Highway 407 routes - not just Routes 45/46/47/48 on the west and routes 51/52/54 on the east, but also Route 40, and Route 32.

---

I also wrote my thoughts on the new co-fare announcement, and how it answers some of my questions about the subway extension on my blog.

Some answered questions about Toronto’s next subway extension

Last edited:
It'd be a good time to restructure the Highway 407 routes - not just Routes 45/46/47/48 on the west and routes 51/52/54 on the east, but also Route 40, and Route 32.

---

I also wrote my thoughts on the new co-fare announcement, and how it answers some of my questions about the subway extension on my blog.

Some answered questions about Toronto’s next subway extension

As I said elsewhere, if the fare integration is good enough, the Highway 407 routes could even serve as a reliever for the Yonge line: Instead of going down Yonge to Finch, take a GO bus express to Highway 407 Station for a more comfortable ride. The extra distance would be mitigated by the fact that you're travelling on the 407 instead of being in local traffic.

As I said elsewhere, if the fare integration is good enough, the Highway 407 routes could even serve as a reliever for the Yonge line: Instead of going down Yonge to Finch, take a GO bus express to Highway 407 Station for a more comfortable ride. The extra distance would be mitigated by the fact that you're travelling on the 407 instead of being in local traffic.

Yes, good point. From RHC to downtown, 407 Express bus + Spadina subway might be slightly faster than Viva Blue plus Yonge subway.

There is the 3rd option of course, RH GO train. But the trains are not very frequent, or the destination in downtown might not be near Union Stn.

So it seems like GO buses won’t be leaving York University when the subway extension opens.

York University TTC stop won't affect GO bus routes for now: Metrolinx
GO bus routes to university expected to stay the same, but changes could come in the future

I wonder how the ridership at Highway 407 Station will be be impacted by “removing” the artificial demand it would have gotten.

"We're going to just monitor it for now," Aikins said. "We will look at how the new subway impacts riders next year.”

Interesting, I actually wonder if it will change much.

Why not have Presto users who boarded at VMC or 407 stations get a free ride if they tap off at York U within 10/15 minutes? That could be calculated.
Or something similar. I'm interested to see if anyone can confirm that the present iteration of Presto can support that algorithm. It seems a really simple one.

So it seems like GO buses won’t be leaving York University when the subway extension opens.

York University TTC stop won't affect GO bus routes for now: Metrolinx
GO bus routes to university expected to stay the same, but changes could come in the future

I wonder how the ridership at Highway 407 Station will be be impacted by “removing” the artificial demand it would have gotten.

Interesting, I actually wonder if it will change much.

Wow. So they built 407 for what? The 500 space commuter lot and one single YRT bus route (20 Jane) that still goes, IIRC, to Pioneer Village and maybe York U after? They marketed it as a huge GO terminal, and it would save 407 riders trying to go across the highway time vs. going all the way south to/north from York for no reason, and the GO terminal will just be completely vacant indefinitely?

Back