Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I don't know if this has already been broughten up, but what the hell is with the names on this extension? The ones in North York make sense (although I'm getting tired of the whole "x West" thing), but once you cross over into Vaughan it just gets ridiculous.

"407 Transitway" - what does that even mean? There's something about it that doesn't sound right to me. I think just "Transitway" sounds better. It doesn't advertize a privatized road I guess - let the people who run the highway build the station and then they can get it named after them. Or call it "Beechwood-Transitway" - it sounds nicer and includes the name of the most interesting thing that area has going for it.

Similarly "Vaughan Corporate Centre" sounds awful. If the City of Vaughan wants to make this a "real downtown", they're going to have to try harder. No one wants to live in a place called a "Corporate Centre", and if you're not going to get people living there it won't be a real downtown. Just call it "Vaughan Centre" or "Vaughan City Centre." I'm hoping it'll look more like the plans for Downtown Markham, but I'm not holding my breath.

Just be thankful that Leslie isn't renamed IKEA station :rolleyes:

I think both the Spadina line and Sheppard line should share that extension of the subway, running half the number of cars up it from each line of course.

It would prompt many people to board the Sheppard Subway, to travel eastward across the top of the city, and make the line more used.

Besides the TTC doesn't plan on having all trains on the Spadina line go up to VCC anyway.

I've liked this idea for a long time and somewhere on this thread I painted a map showing a Sheppard/Spadina interchange line. Each line starts at Vaughan and travels south through the new stations. At downview the Spadina train heads down the YUS line but the Sheppard train turns and would travel east along an eastern portion of Sheppard until SCC. THe idea of connecting VCC, York U, NYCC and SCC on the same line makes sense to me. A lot of people use the 401 to travel short distances to other major employment hubs. The Sheppard Line (in this vision) would be long enough to actually connect a few trip-generating destinations and could actually work as a alternative to the 401 instead of just a spur. It is worth consideration.

They could even take it a step further and extend the B/D to SCC, and then from then on the Sheppard and B/D lines can share a track in an extension beyond SCC at the other end, to like Malvern or something.

Media Advisory - Important transportation infrastructure announcement for the Greater Toronto Area

OTTAWA, July 24 /CNW Telbec/ - The Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of
Finance and Minister Responsible for the GTA, on behalf of the Honourable
Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities; along
with the Honourable George Smitherman, Deputy Premier and Minister of Energy
and Infrastructure; The Honourable Jim Bradley, Ontario Minister of
Transportation; His Worship Mayor David Miller, City of Toronto; and
Councillor Adam Giambrone, Chair of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) will
make an important transportation infrastructure announcement.

Photo-ops and a brief media availability will follow.

<<
Date: Friday, July 25, 2008

Time: 10:30 a.m.

At the corner of York Blvd and James Gillies Road
Toronto, Ontario

The feds are coming through with several billion $. Apparently it is one of those big "something for everyone" grab-bags, everything from the Spadina extension to the Mississauga busway to highway widenings along the Trans Canada in northern Ontario. It's good news; better late than never I suppose.

The Torys are just trying to buy some votes in Ontario because they won't win the next election (let alone near majority territory) if they don't win some seats in the province.

I don't think it will work. Good ol' Jimmy Flahery may loose his seat in the next election.

I'll take the grab bag. Let's get the transit ball rolling already! Then let's boot the cons out of power.

What's the chance that they will require the TTC to install a portrait of Stephen Harper on the York University Subway Station Entrance?

hurry up already! i wanna see those big holes!

New subway in sight at last

Spadina extension's groundbreaking likely in September as Ottawa prepares to pay up
July 25, 2008
Robert Benzie
Tess Kalinowski
Staff Reporters

Officials say the groundbreaking ceremony for the TTC's $2 billion Spadina subway extension is expected as early as September – more than two years after the plan was unveiled.

"We're closer to the finish line than we were before," federal Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon said of his government's long-awaited $697 million contribution to the project. The funding framework should be finalized "relatively quickly," Cannon said.

The groundbreaking would be followed by completion of preparatory work, which has already begun, and shovels could go into the ground late next year. The 8.6-kilometre expansion would boast six stops, including a high-traffic hub at York University, and wind from Downsview station to Vaughan Centre.

While the Star first revealed the scheme on March 7, 2006 and the provincial Liberal government made its $697 million contribution official two weeks later, it was another year before Premier Dalton McGuinty and Prime Minister Stephen Harper reached a provisional funding agreement.

Intergovernmental wrangling continued long after McGuinty and Harper held a joint news conference in Downsview on March 6, 2007, but officials say Ottawa's cheque is almost in the mail.

The money is over and above the $9.3 billion for improvements to Ontario infrastructure over the next six years announced yesterday by the federal and provincial governments.

So far, the province and Ottawa have agreed on a handful of projects as priorities, including a rapid transit line to relieve traffic congestion in Kitchener-Waterloo, widening the Trans-Canada Highway in northwestern Ontario and boosting broadband Internet access in southern and eastern Ontario.

But allocation of most of the funds remains to be determined under a framework agreement signed yesterday by the two governments in London.

Toronto Transit Commission chair Adam Giambrone said the subway project's formal launch, signalling that all partners are on board, is expected in the next two to three months.

"This money is coming right on time when we're ready to break ground on construction," said Giambrone.

Shovels could go in the ground late next year with the line running by 2015.
That's about a year later than TTC officials had hoped when the plan was announced.

Sewer relocations around York University have already begun and the TTC is in the throes of design and planning work, said the transit authority's Brad Ross.

"People will start to see some real big holes in the ground in about 18 months.
We have a project team that has begun work. We're starting to do a lot of the designing and engineering work that has to happen before you can begin digging," he said.

The Spadina subway extension is the only project for which the TTC has applied for money under the federal Building Canada program, but Giambrone said it may request funding for other projects, including $1.25 billion to replace its aging streetcar fleet.

Toronto Mayor David Miller said he understood the public's impatience with the oft-touted, still-unrealized project.

"I think you need to act. You will see announcements with shovels in the ground on transit infrastructure in Toronto, I hope, in the not too distant future," said Miller. Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory said the delays associated with the project prove the need for more stable funding for the TTC.

"We're making the same mistakes over and over again. We announce one subway, declare victory and ... spend the next five years congratulating ourselves and don't do anything in the meantime," said Tory.

"We've got to get back to the point where on things like transit ... we get back to some kind of a (funding) formula."

NDP Leader Howard Hampton bemoaned the hold-up, saying "Dalton McGuinty, Stephen Harper and their deputies could have hammered out this deal long ago."

But York Region chair Bill Fisch said "we're very pleased" the subway will soon be making its first foray into the 905.

"We did expect and anticipate we would get the funding in a reasonable time frame. Now that it's official, we can officially begin the process of building the subway," Fisch said.

Federal, provincial and municipal officials will be at York University today to publicize a previously announced $30 million "busway."

The six-kilometre route between the university and Downsview station along the Finch hydro corridor and Keele St. is expected to be complete in time for the 2009-10 school year, sources said.

With files from Rob Ferguson and Vanessa Lu

- http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/467117

I am worried that they will be only producing the 2006 dollar$ promised. Inflation and the price of gasoline and materials used now and going to be used by the contractors pushed the prices needed way beyond that figure. I hope that an inflation clause is in the agreement.

The busway is so pointless really. Waste of money to even bother. If people have been getting to York University all this time, I'm sure they can keep doing it the same way until 2015.

khris - it's virtually impossible to increase service further on the 196 right now because of the congestion on the roads into the university. The busway will allow for the TTC to expand service in the interim and build up to subway service when it opens.

The busway will also continue to be used after 2015 by local bus services for rapid access to Finch West Station. This is not money wasted whatsoever.

khris - it's virtually impossible to increase service further on the 196 right now because of the congestion on the roads into the university. The busway will allow for the TTC to expand service in the interim and build up to subway service when it opens.

The busway will also continue to be used after 2015 by local bus services for rapid access to Finch West Station. This is not money wasted whatsoever.

The busway might be needed as an interim solution, but I do not see any use for it after 2015.

The TTC's schema shows the busway used (after 2015) for the express branch of Finch W bus, and by the Keele North bus to get to Downsview faster.

In reality, the Finch W bus will sease once Finch W LRT is build. The Keele North bus will have no business going to Downsview, it will operate from the Finch/Keele station or from York U. The Chesswood commercial area (north of Sheppard) will likely be served by a separate, short route.

Back