Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

So does 2015 still seem like a realistic opening date?

And that's another thing, will they open it all at once or a few stations at a time as they complete them...

So does 2015 still seem like a realistic opening date?

And that's another thing, will they open it all at once or a few stations at a time as they complete them...

It would be good to complete the subway portion up to Finch West Stn simultaneously with the Finch West LRT line. Otherwise, Finch West LRT will tend to shift more riders to Yonge, instead of the less heavily used US-Downsview line.

It's not like Finch West will be finished any time soon...

If they know enough in advance that the Spadina line won't reach VCC station on opening day, there could be pressure to build a mega-sized terminus station at a point that would otherwise have warranted a modest or small station if they had waited a year or two.

If they know enough in advance that the Spadina line won't reach VCC station on opening day, there could be pressure to build a mega-sized terminus station at a point that would otherwise have warranted a modest or small station if they had waited a year or two.

If the construction of the whole subway line is well underway, there will be no point to build a grand terminus at Finch W. A simple connection to LRT will suffice, perhaps with just every 2-nd train running past Downsview to Finch W.

Although, at times TTC operates in non-Euclidian logic ...

Indeed. Or the endless soundbites on how it's part of Canada's "ecoaction" plan - of course, they wouldn't be mentioning the years of inaction prior to the shovels hitting the ground.

AoD

Or in the Conservatives case, a total bullshit plan that will realistically do nothing to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and make us look like a laggard on the world stage? But that discussion is for another board!

The TTC loves building grand terminii even (especially? :)) when it has every intention of extending lines further. Even a one year delay in opening the whole extension could be enough for the TTC to say "that's too long for riders to enjoy the wonderful awesomeness of a palatial terminus station...let's upgrade Steeles West to the size of Downsview or Kennedy!." I also hope the full extension is finished before the SE half of Viva Orange is upgraded (for the same reason that the Yonge extension should get going to kill off the Yonge busway).

I really doubt the Finch line will be up and running before 2015...it's not replacing a proposed or serious potential subway project, so there's no incentive to hurry up as there is on Sheppard. I expect a fight once people actually find out about the streetcar ROWs (most people in Toronto are not yet aware of Transit City).

The TTC loves building grand terminii even (especially? :)) when it has every intention of extending lines further. Even a one year delay in opening the whole extension could be enough for the TTC to say "that's too long for riders to enjoy the wonderful awesomeness of a palatial terminus station...let's upgrade Steeles West to the size of Downsview or Kennedy!." I also hope the full extension is finished before the SE half of Viva Orange is upgraded (for the same reason that the Yonge extension should get going to kill off the Yonge busway).

I really doubt the Finch line will be up and running before 2015...it's not replacing a proposed or serious potential subway project, so there's no incentive to hurry up as there is on Sheppard. I expect a fight once people actually find out about the streetcar ROWs (most people in Toronto are not yet aware of Transit City).

Except in this case extending the line past steeles would not have much effect on the number of TTC routes that would serve Steeles West station, because none would go past steeles.

A far as I can tell, YRT and GO would be responsible for building their own terminals, last time I checked the EA documents, (before the line was planned to go past steeles) the TTC and YRT/GO terminals where seperate, and on thier respective side of the city boundary.

Funny thing is I have no objection to the Finch LRT, but instead they push through the ONE I have the biggest problem with, Sheppard East, and the one I have the second most problem with, Eglinton. This city operates completely backward in some ways.

From the EA blueprints it seems like they have no intention of providing a seamless transfer between the Finch LRT and the Spadina Subway at Finch West, since the Spadina Subway was planned before Transit City.

Any chance they will change the design to accomodate something like St. Clair West?

There's more to palatial stations than just bus bays, Voltz..."interim terminus" is just one more potential pressure to overbuild. And we don't yet know where an interim terminus might be - "let's upgrade Steeles West" was just an example, although the perils of overbuilding apply to GO and YRT, too.

I really doubt the Finch line will be up and running before 2015...
It's scheduled to open in 2013. I"m sure it could slip, as could the subway (especially as long as the Tories hold out releasing the money - but I'm sure there will be other reasons. If Metrolinx and TTC get into a dispute about whether Sheppard East should be subway or LRT, I'd thinkt that Finch West, which is number 2 on the list, might speed up.

Except in this case extending the line past steeles would not have much effect on the number of TTC routes that would serve Steeles West station, because none would go past steeles.

A far as I can tell, YRT and GO would be responsible for building their own terminals, last time I checked the EA documents, (before the line was planned to go past steeles) the TTC and YRT/GO terminals where seperate, and on thier respective side of the city boundary.

When I was looking at the extension documents I remember them showing Vaughan Centre (or Vaughan City Centre or whatever) as not being much of a station. Mostly on street loading/unloading, with cutouts at the curb for the bus to stop at.

When I was looking at the extension documents I remember them showing Vaughan Centre (or Vaughan City Centre or whatever) as not being much of a station. Mostly on street loading/unloading, with cutouts at the curb for the bus to stop at.

Yet, this "not much of a station" is going to cost $100 million...

Perhaps that 100 million includes all the work they plan to do to the area to turn it into a 'Downtown'. FWIW what does a simple 'hole in the ground' subway station run?

No, it wouldn't include such work. A "simple" station like Bessarion (which could have been smaller) cost $36M in 2002.

Back