Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

They should be planting trees by now, so they can establish themselves by opening date.
The way things are going, landscaping at the remaining stations won't be possible until next spring. At least they already started at Downsview Park.

These stations are ridiculous and look way to over built and the finishing on them seems really unnecessary. Why couldn't they build them like the older TTc Station or the sheppard ones. What's next we find out that they are putting marble imparted fro Italy into the bathrooms or something?

The sheppard stations look like they do because the budget was absolutely cut to the bone. They did remarkable things under the circumstances.

It's still a sad state of affairs that someone would think that low bar should be our design goal.

The sheppard stations look like they do because the budget was absolutely cut to the bone. They did remarkable things under the circumstances.

It's still a sad state of affairs that someone would think that low bar should be our design goal.
I get why they built the Shepard ones the way they did I just think they are wasting money on these ones for no reason whatsoever.

I get why they built the Shepard ones the way they did I just think they are wasting money on these ones for no reason whatsoever.

I think it's so people are impressed by the transit system and its aesthetics - as they are in Montreal, Moscow and many other places - instead of treating it like a utilitarian, chicken*** operation.

It may be the latter, but one tries to keep up appearances.

I think it's so people are impressed by the transit system and its aesthetics - as they are in Montreal, Moscow and many other places - instead of treating it like a utilitarian, chicken*** operation.

It may be the latter, but one tries to keep up appearances.
I've never seen Moscow's stations but I have seen a few of Montreal's and I don't really remember them being all that memorable and they certainly were not like these monsters they are building it's no wonder there are cost and construction overruns. If they had kept them simple like most of the line no one would care if they looked like other cities. Plus it would have opened by now if they weren't wasting time and money on all this extra crap on then and building them like bomb shelters.

I agree on the stations but find the expensive materials on the emergency exits to be rather excessive. I mean, Marble cladding on an emergency exit in an industrial park? really?

These stations are ridiculous and look way to over built and the finishing on them seems really unnecessary. Why couldn't they build them like the older TTc Station or the sheppard ones. What's next we find out that they are putting marble imparted fro Italy into the bathrooms or something?
Oh for once we set the bar a little higher in the city and we get a bunch of whining.

Oh for once we set the bar a little higher in the city and we get a bunch of whining.
I think the designer set it too high for no good reason. Unless they get some sort of commission on the sales of the finishing material on them. Subway stations don't have to look like ridiculous temples of wasted money

I think the designer set it too high for no good reason. Unless they get some sort of commission on the sales of the finishing material on them. Subway stations don't have to look like ridiculous temples of wasted money

For no good reason? I dunno, man. Art? Beauty? Aesthetics?
This is LITERALLY "why we can't have nice things."
OK, I'll grant those are awful pretty for emergency exits, but still. This has been going on since they actually had a design competition, hiring prominent architects for the stations which, after Sheppard, is a great thing. And then everyone is a critic like Emperor Joseph II.

For no good reason? I dunno, man. Art? Beauty? Aesthetics?
This is LITERALLY "why we can't have nice things."
OK, I'll grant those are awful pretty for emergency exits, but still. This has been going on since they actually had a design competition, hiring prominent architects for the stations which, after Sheppard, is a great thing. And then everyone is a critic like Emperor Joseph II.

That's my problem holding design competitions to get designers to design ridiculous buildings. We end up with overbuilt and too much crap added on to them . These stations are worse then some if the existing ones.

While I appreciate the statement they're trying to make, these stations really do seem quite over the top, especially given their less than impressive surroundings. I bet the DRL stations won't be anywhere near as extravagant.

I doubt it. But if the DRL stations end up similar to the underground Crosstown stations, decent public art might make up for it.

Back