Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

depending on which "other cities". American cities are not the only cities on earth.
I traveled to Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong and their off peak hours are as frequent as TTC subway if not better. And out street cars are not frequent or reliable at all. I spend 13 or 15 minutes waiting for 505 quite often. 506 is even worse, sometimes as long as 27 minutes.

How are the double-decker streetcars in Hong Kong?

I traveled to Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong and their off peak hours are as frequent as TTC subway if not better.
And yet I'm more familiar with Seoul, where I just checked the station I remember waiting longer than I'd have thought ... and I just found that the scheduled weekday evening frequency is only once every 10 minutes and 12 minutes on weekends. Checking some other spots I think might be less frequently, I quickly find a 38-minute gap on Sunday evenings.

Is all the off-peak subway service in Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong is really better than our least frequent subway line off-peak (every 5.5 minutes on Sheppard). I'd have thought Seoul would be quite comparable to Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong.

It will be a funny kind of station. One or twice a year, a special event at Downsview Park will make heavy use of it, and there'll potentially be a trickle of transfers to/from GO Barrie in the mornings and evening, but otherwise it should be dead dead dead.

I think it's very likely to be the lowest ridership station on the whole Spadina extension for many years... in the future there might be height-restricted midrise TOD around it and/or two-way all-day on the Barrie line with fare integration, but that probably won't move the needle too much and it may never catch the likes of the Highway 407 station (park and ride and heavy transfers to and from GO bus should keep that station modestly busy despite the geography) or Pioneer Village (student traffic bound for northern half of York campus and bus interchange). I suspect Downsview Park will displace Bessarion at the bottom of the network-wide rankings.

Last edited:
I think it's very likely to be the lowest ridership station on the whole Spadina extension for many years...
My money is on Highway 407. They only forecast ed 2,000 riders per hour north of Steeles ... and I suspect most would be going to Vaughan.

I suspect those transferring to the Sheppard West bus (and presumably other buses on Sheppard West) at Downsview Park station will provide more than the 407 GO bus service.

My money is on Highway 407. They only forecast ed 2,000 riders per hour north of Steeles ... and I suspect most would be going to Vaughan.

Except all the Vaughan residents who now drive down to Downsview will now park up there instead. And that Transitway is coming any day now, isn't it?
[crickets]

I suspect those transferring to the Sheppard West bus (and presumably other buses on Sheppard West) at Downsview Park station will provide more than the 407 GO bus service.

Highway 407 not only has the parking, but it's where the GO Transit 407 buses will stop/terminate (and likely the Brampton Zum buses on at least the 501A). There will be lots of York U students and staff forced to transfer onto the subway here that used to have a direct ride to the campus. It will be very quiet on weekends though.

The lowest ridership on the extension will most likely be at Downsview Park. It will have a useful GO Train connection, and some weekend ridership due to Downsview Park, but it won't be much. The buses on Sheppard will most likely continue to directly service the renamed Downsview Station (Sheppard West), Downsview Park is not supposed to have much of a bus terminal, if any.

Last edited:
It's way overbuilt. There is a time to go flashy (York U station), but run of the mill ones like these really doesn't need to be that palatial. I really wish they could just hire one architect and use high quality but common finishing for all the stations.

AoD

Highway 407 not only has the parking, but it's where the GO Transit 407 buses will stop/terminate (and likely the Brampton Zum buses on at least the 501A). There will be lots of York U students and staff forced to transfer onto the subway here that used to have a direct ride to the campus. It will be very quiet on weekends though.
Wouldn't the Branmpton buses be on Highway 7, and then go to to Vauhgan Metropolis City Centre?

The lowest ridership on the extension will most likely be at Downsview Park. It will have a useful GO Train connection, and some weekend ridership due to Downsview Park, but it won't be much. The buses on Sheppard will most likely continue to directly service the renamed Downsview Station (Sheppard West), Downsview Park is not supposed to have much of a bus terminal, if any.[/QUOTE]Is the 407 East and West buses really going to terminate at 407 Station? It currently terminates at York; I'd have assumed it would have at least ran through to Pioneer Village. Hmm, maybe that is what they are thinking ... but I can't imagine that's going to save any of the current ridership any time! Though presumably they could start running 407 East/West as a combined route then, which might have it's uses.

Still, the 84 Sheppard West alone is 12 buses an hour at peak and 6 off-peak. That's more passengers than the 407 routes. How many will change at Downsview Park rather than going an extra mile Sheppard West? There won't be a terminal at Sheppard West, but there'll be a bus stop ... and I believe you can cross Sheppard from the north side on the GO platform. Personally if I'm on the bus going past a subway station, I'm getting off - particularly given the long road approach and all the stairs at Downsview (Sheppard West). Hard to say how it will all work until you've tried both though ...

Ideally though, they'd extend the Sheppard subway to Downsview ... and then under the runways one more stop to Keele/Sheppard (which perhaps they'd rename as Downsview Park ... lol ...

Last edited:
Wouldn't the Branmpton buses be on Highway 7, and then go to to Vauhgan Metropolis City Centre?

The lowest ridership on the extension will most likely be at Downsview Park. It will have a useful GO Train connection, and some weekend ridership due to Downsview Park, but it won't be much. The buses on Sheppard will most likely continue to directly service the renamed Downsview Station (Sheppard West), Downsview Park is not supposed to have much of a bus terminal, if any. Is the 407 East and West buses really going to terminate at 407 Station? It currently terminates at York; I'd have assumed it would have at least ran through to Pioneer Village. Hmm, maybe that is what they are thinking ... but I can't imagine that's going to save any of the current ridership any time! Though presumably they could start running 407 East/West as a combined route then, which might have it's uses.

Still, the 84 Sheppard West alone is 12 buses an hour at peak and 6 off-peak. That's more passengers than the 407 routes. How many will change at Downsview Park rather than going an extra mile Sheppard West? There won't be a terminal at Sheppard West, but there'll be a bus stop ... and I believe you can cross Sheppard from the north side on the GO platform. Personally if I'm on the bus going past a subway station, I'm getting off - particularly given the long road approach and all the stairs at Downsview (Sheppard West). Hard to say how it will all work until you've tried both though ...

Ideally though, they'd extend the Sheppard subway to Downsview ... and then under the runways one more stop to Keele/Sheppard (which perhaps they'd rename as Downsview Park ... lol ...
I've always though they should bring the subway 400 or Weston if they do that. even a Downsview-STC route is still a stub to me.

It's way overbuilt. There is a time to go flashy (York U station), but run of the mill ones like these really doesn't need to be that palatial. I really wish they could just hire one architect and use high quality but common finishing for all the stations.

AoD

I love the description "palatial" :)

This should've been Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station:

palladio_rotonda1566.jpg

Back