Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

It would appear that the Metropolitan Delusion of Vaughan asked Metrolinx last month to consider extending the Spadina line to Major Mackenzie

I suppose they should be. Vaughan has a good record of getting what they ask for transit wise; they might get it in 25 years if they're persistent. Vaughan doesn't say no when they're asked to kick in money for capital.

Mississauga should have taken the opportunity to request their LRT project be first out of the gate.

Last edited:
Vaughan didn't provide any funding for the Spadina extension. The municipal portion came from York Region.

True. I actually put York Region in that sentence initially.

Point remains though. The people who represent Vaughan City Council at York Region, and Vaughan for York Region Transit are willing to kick in funding, convince others in York Region to kick in funding, and have a good record of getting what they ask for.

True. I actually put York Region in that sentence initially.

Point remains though. The people who represent Vaughan City Council at York Region, and Vaughan for York Region Transit are willing to kick in funding, convince others in York Region to kick in funding, and have a good record of getting what they ask for.

If that ends up being the case, York Region in the next 25 years would be getting more KMs of subway than Toronto would be (excluding the Eglinton LRT tunnel). In fact, even with the Eglinton LRT tunnel, it would probably be pretty close.

Vaughan extension now, Yonge extension up next, and then a Wonderland extension after that? Wow.

Ughhh. Vaughan really needs to kick this subway addiction...

Vaughan is just the ultimate manifestation of the Rob Ford ideology. Subways, subways, subways!

Although thankfully for them, York Region is looking over their shoulder and mandating VIVA Next.

A subway station at Wonderland would actually be amazing.
It would be ...and heck, you could probably have one at each end ... but you really can't use a privately-owned theme park to justify this kind of infrastructure. You could easily spend a $billion on this, and then have the theme-park owner sell the park to build low-density residential.

Ultimately, any expansion has to be driven by ridership - and likely peak AM ridership, rather than the Vaughan Mills mall or Canada's Wonderland. If they have the numbers to pull it off, great. But I can't see it. It's possible to justify the extra couple of kilometres in Vaughan for the current project, because of the chance to connect with other transit infrastucture along 407 and 7, creating a good network. But any further up Jane seems unlikely, without wide-scale intensfication outside of the current Vaughan masterplan.

It's almost 4 km to the next major node at Vaughan Mills. That's a lot of change. I'd be surprised if this is an LRT candidate anytime in my lifetime - let alone subway.

Ughhh. Vaughan really needs to kick this subway addiction...

What Vaughan needs to do is kick this belief that they're going to become some kind of world-class large metropolitan that is in desperate need of subways. To this day I can't believe that Vaughan fought so hard to have Vaughan Centre renamed to Vaughan Metropolitian Centre. This suburb isn't a metropolitan and changing the name of the station to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre wont make it one.

And of course it doesn't help that their slogan was "The City Above Toronto" for years. All it does is make Vaughan seem like they have some serious inferiority complex issues, which would explain their subway addiction.

And I couldn't help but notice that the first thing on the Vaughan website is this quote from their mayor: "Vaughan is in the midst of transformation from a suburban municipality into a world-class city." Not in a million years buddy. Nobody outside of the Ontario even knows about your puny municipality and I doubt that will change anytime soon. Even allot of people in Toronto have no idea where Vaughan is, if they've heard of it at all.

They need a serious reality check up in Vaughan.

Last edited:
It would be ...and heck, you could probably have one at each end ... but you really can't use a privately-owned theme park to justify this kind of infrastructure. You could easily spend a $billion on this, and then have the theme-park owner sell the park to build low-density residential.

Ultimately, any expansion has to be driven by ridership - and likely peak AM ridership, rather than the Vaughan Mills mall or Canada's Wonderland. If they have the numbers to pull it off, great. But I can't see it. It's possible to justify the extra couple of kilometres in Vaughan for the current project, because of the chance to connect with other transit infrastucture along 407 and 7, creating a good network. But any further up Jane seems unlikely, without wide-scale intensfication outside of the current Vaughan masterplan.

It's almost 4 km to the next major node at Vaughan Mills. That's a lot of change. I'd be surprised if this is an LRT candidate anytime in my lifetime - let alone subway.

If they had saved some sort of a ROW from Vaughan Centre up Jane (or near but parallel to Jane), it may be worth a discussion, because running it on the surface would make it a lot easier. But tunnelled? Forget about it.

If they had saved some sort of a ROW from Vaughan Centre up Jane (or near but parallel to Jane), it may be worth a discussion, because running it on the surface would make it a lot easier. But tunnelled? Forget about it.

That section of Jane (Hwy 7 to Major Mac, or even to Teston Rd) is actually very wide, and a surface LRT would fit easily.

The issues would be the level of demand, as well as connections from the subway terminus to the E-W routes. When the subway opens, they will probably want to send Rutherford, Major Mac, Teston buses down Jane for a one-seat ride to subway. But if Jane gets LRT, then riders of those buses will have to transfer to LRT before transferring to subway.

Anyway, I can't imagine a subway extension on Jane north of Hwy 7 in the foreseeable future. A lot of corridors in GTA have higher demand levels.

That section of Jane (Hwy 7 to Major Mac, or even to Teston Rd) is actually very wide, and a surface LRT would fit easily.

The issues would be the level of demand, as well as connections from the subway terminus to the E-W routes. When the subway opens, they will probably want to send Rutherford, Major Mac, Teston buses down Jane for a one-seat ride to subway. But if Jane gets LRT, then riders of those buses will have to transfer to LRT before transferring to subway.

Anyway, I can't imagine a subway extension on Jane north of Hwy 7 in the foreseeable future. A lot of corridors in GTA have higher demand levels.

I meant as a surface extension of the subway. Building LRT would make even less sense.

If anything, they should just put in either dedicated bus lanes or queue jump lanes. That'll do it for the next couple of decades at least.

I meant as a surface extension of the subway. Building LRT would make even less sense.

If anything, they should just put in either dedicated bus lanes or queue jump lanes. That'll do it for the next couple of decades at least.

Yes, I would consider dedicated bus lanes, to direct multiple routes to the subway terminus.

A surface subway extension might be problematic because the E-W traffic would have to get across somehow. Subway won't stop at traffic lights, while bridges or underpasses would probably require too much space.

And I couldn't help but notice that the first thing on the Vaughan website is this quote from their mayor: "Vaughan is in the midst of transformation from a suburban municipality into a world-class city." Not in a million years buddy. Nobody outside of the Ontario even knows about your puny municipality and I doubt that will change anytime soon. Even allot of people in Toronto have no idea where Vaughan is, if they've heard of it at all.

Even people in living in Vaughan don't even refer to Vaughan much. They think they live in a collection of small towns connected by suburban development. Mississauga is physically the same, but at least it has a collective identity.

Back