Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

i suggest renaming the vaughan corporate metropolitian blabla to concord, not even vaughan, just call it concord, concord is a small town in vaughan, so why use the entire city name, if theres gonna be other stops in vaughan, possibly in other towns too like wood bridge, kleinburg,thorn hill

By that standard, why would Yonge-Sheppard not be called "Willowdale", Finch "Newtonbrook", or Warden "Clairlea" stations respectively? Why not just keep Downsview station's name as is? Because in cities, subway stops are named after streets, unless a neighborhood is noteworthy as a tourist area. Concord certainly is not.

But as is par with perceptions in the 905, maybe if the B-D is extended to Square One, Maybe there would be a "Highway 10' station. I know from experience you would like that name, Paolo. :)

Last edited:
Personal, I believe the stations should not be name after streets and be given a name to either represent the area in a naming contest. Only York U and the current Downsview names should be used and the rest to open to public input.

Please no. That's where stupid station names like Downsview came from in the first place. That's probably why the TTC is now renaming Downsview...although they're ironically changing another name for a proposed station from a logical name to a stupid one. Go figure.

Last edited:
Please no. That's where stupid station names like Downsview came from in the first place. That's probably why the TTC is now renaming Downsview...although they're ironically changing another name for a proposed station from a logical name to a stupid one. Go figure.

It appears the the current TTC Board is equally stupid with the public.

Then we'll have to end up waiting decades to rename Black Creek Pioneer Village Station to Steeles West Station....

Why doesn't a Commissioner like Stintz propose making Black Creek Pioneer Village the subtitle? I really much prefer that solution.

And if the Sheppard subway is extended west, is Sheppard West station going to still be called that or have to be changed again...

And if the Sheppard subway is extended west, is Sheppard West station going to still be called that or have to be changed again...

Sheppard Station changed names when the Sheppard line was built (to Yonge-Sheppard). The Station located at Dufferin and Sheppard would have to change names anyways. Not sure what they might call it though.

Sheppard Station changed names when the Sheppard line was built (to Yonge-Sheppard). The Station located at Dufferin and Sheppard would have to change names anyways. Not sure what they might call it though.

I think Sheppard West may actually make sense. As in "this is as far west as the Sheppard line goes". I think that having the station name as "______ West" only doesn't make sense if the line goes further west than that station. So for example, Eglinton West will need to change names.

The really crazy part is that it took them so long to do this. They HAD names and they stopped, for a year to do public consultation.
Then those results came in and they STILL waited months and months to think about it...and then made it up in the moment?

Black Creek Pioneer Village is ridiculous for all the obvious reasons. Heck, it's not like they made sure to design the station to fit in with the heritage character. It wasn't conceived in that light at all. It's mostly a place to keep the buses out of York U, isn't it?

People going on about VMC, or how it should be called Concord etc., should let it go. It's not called Concord because it's west of Concord proper and, more to the point, because that's the "brand name" for the neighbourhood they're building there. It's an official name that's in the city's OP etc. and mocking Vaughan for its alleged grandiosity is really besides the point.

Personally, I think Vaughan Centre made more sense just for obvious brevity. The city argued people might confuse that with where the civic centre is and, okay, it's true that both Scarb Centre and NYCC are adjacent to the civic centres. Still, there was at least an underlying logic to their unwieldy name. This Black Creek thing just tosses the whole TTC naming policy out the window. There just seems no reason at all to have changed it from Steeles West, unless those cunning tough guys at the TRCA greased the wheels :)

it actually isnt West of concord proper, the entire town is called concord all the way west up to the 400.

There is no "town." The general area is called Concord but it's all industry; there's no one who talks about being in Concord, except the people who live along Dufferin. Indeed, the one neighbourhood EAST of Keele is called "Concord West."

So, calling the station Concord makes about as much sense as calling Finch Station, "Willowdale." Neither actually tells you where you are. There seems to be agreement here that a station shouldn't just be named after the huge neighbourhood it's part of but there

The full VMC name is long, so it seems like pompous grandstanding, but the subway is the raison d'etre for that development so it does make some sense. And if the plans are actually fulfilled it will seem far less silly (and have even less to do with Concord than it does now).

The full VMC name is long ...
Perhaps we should start a campaign to call it something shorter informally. Something with the same initials maybe ... VMC ... something that's associated with Vaughan. Nice short word starting with an 'M' ...

... got it.

Vaughan Mafia Centre

Perhaps they could even sell the naming rights.

The really crazy part is that it took them so long to do this. They HAD names and they stopped, for a year to do public consultation.
Then those results came in and they STILL waited months and months to think about it...and then made it up in the moment?

Black Creek Pioneer Village is ridiculous for all the obvious reasons. Heck, it's not like they made sure to design the station to fit in with the heritage character. It wasn't conceived in that light at all. It's mostly a place to keep the buses out of York U, isn't it?

People going on about VMC, or how it should be called Concord etc., should let it go. It's not called Concord because it's west of Concord proper and, more to the point, because that's the "brand name" for the neighbourhood they're building there. It's an official name that's in the city's OP etc. and mocking Vaughan for its alleged grandiosity is really besides the point.

Personally, I think Vaughan Centre made more sense just for obvious brevity. The city argued people might confuse that with where the civic centre is and, okay, it's true that both Scarb Centre and NYCC are adjacent to the civic centres. Still, there was at least an underlying logic to their unwieldy name. This Black Creek thing just tosses the whole TTC naming policy out the window. There just seems no reason at all to have changed it from Steeles West, unless those cunning tough guys at the TRCA greased the wheels :)

The marketing name for the area around Mel Lastman's grand centre was actually "North York City Centre" and by the late 1980s Mel was trying out "North York City" as a economic development catchphrase. Even meglomanic Mel didn't put such a fight up when the TTC built him a new (and very sensible) mid-block station and called it simply "North York Centre" - funny that Vaughan got its way.

So yes, there's precedent for simplifing the name in spite of a marketing gimmick.

And no, I never would have called it anything but "Vaughan Centre" - Concord doesn't work for the points you raise. If GO put a stop on the Barrie line at Highway 7, that should be called Concord.

it actually isnt West of concord proper, the entire town is called concord all the way west up to the 400.

No, that is not what the town IS called. That's what it WAS called, maybe 40 years ago. Concord, as well as Woodbridge and (the west half of) Thornhill, are not recognized as official place names ever since Vaughan was incorporated (my guess was that was in 1974). The only "official" recognition these places get is with Canada Post, which still maintains separate post offices for those three names. That's why most businesses continue to use those names in their addresses.

Working here in Concord for nearly 20 years, I can tell you that "Concord" is the last name the people running Vaughan would ever want to name the subway station. "Concord" is synonymous with heavy grungy industry.

There is no "town." The general area is called Concord but it's all industry; there's no one who talks about being in Concord, except the people who live along Dufferin.

Actually people do. I've heard people here in Wasaga that say they work in Concord, not Vaughan. That's obviously the reason why Paolo is being adamant that Concord is a town.

Last edited:

Back