Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

I noticed blue strips running down the NW corner of the building, and down the "V-shape" edge of the "zipper". I think this will be the lighting feature.

Today:

IyALHiW.jpg

xB3b8I2.jpg

Nz7npYf.jpg

Someday in 2139 when the city finally does something about the rail corridor that row of buildings is going to have a New College thing going for it, still showing the shape designed for a long-gone railway/expressway.

Someday in 2139 when the city finally does something about the rail corridor that row of buildings is going to have a New College thing going for it, still showing the shape designed for a long-gone railway/expressway.

It would look something like this. Only instead of just squishing the city together, there would be buildings and streets and parks where the tracks used to be. :cool:

vaKxPzo.jpg

Last edited:
I think the tracks are actually worse than the Gardiner for separating the city from the waterfront. I'd love to see them decked over with parkland on top.

I think the tracks are actually worse than the Gardiner for separating the city from the waterfront. I'd love to see them decked over with parkland on top.

I think most of us can agree on that (at least as far as a physical barrier vs a visual barrier), but the problem is that decking over railway tracks wouldn't come cheap, and would need to involve cooperation between the City, GO/Metrolinx and a private developer with some deep pockets.

covered ( decked) railway tracks

I think most of us can agree on that (at least as far as a physical barrier vs a visual barrier), but the problem is that decking over railway tracks wouldn't come cheap, and would need to involve cooperation between the City, GO/Metrolinx and a private developer with some deep pockets.

Too bad!
But , let's face it : this is not New York or Chicago for that matter...

I love these pics. Thanks for posting. Something about this whole area I like. Not sure why.

I think its because its an entirely new neighbourhood that somehow works and feels mildly organic. Unlike City Place or what Liberty Village has degenerated into... between the ACC, a smattering of condo buildings, a hotel, and a couple of office buildings, the area feels like an area, not just a pile of new buildings.

I think it's because of the Roundhouse park. If it weren't for that, this would feel like Cityplace

But Cityplace has it's own (Canoe) park ... and it's probably even bigger than Roundhouse... I think it's because it's closer to actual places people goto - and not just a condo jungle... I can't wait till southcore has more retail... once it has enough retail, I think it'll have a better feel... right now, it's still just uh huh..

Southcore not only has a better sense of place because of its unique landmarks like the ACC, Skydome, the Roundhouse and the CN Tower, it also seems more urban because of its intense mix of uses. There are 40 storey office towers next to 50 storey condo towers, with lots of retail in the bases. That's an intense mix of uses that produces a range of activities throughout the day and ensures vibrancy in a way that's absent at Cityplace. That's not to slight Cityplace, but this area's character is far more urban and "downtown" in character.

I don't understand all this comparison of Southcore with Cityplace. You're comparing apples with oranges. SC is an area of residential/office/retail/entertainment whereas Cityplace is purely residential with a splash of retail/restaurants.

I don't understand all this comparison of Southcore with Cityplace. You're comparing apples with oranges. SC is an area of residential/office/retail/entertainment whereas Cityplace is purely residential with a splash of retail/restaurants.

Which is partly why CP is seen as a missed opportunity when compared to Southcore, and thus why the comparisons are being made. Southcore could have been another CP with all condos and the usual bank, Subway, shawarma, dry cleaner, medical/dental retail. Instead it encompasses more uses, which CP should have had as well, and which is why most forumers are excited about the signature towers at CP which could be more of a Maple Leaf Square type development of office/retail/residential.

I agree too with the comments about Roundhouse, it has been way more busier now than it was a few years ago and I suspect it will continue to gain popularity with the aquarium and Delta. It's one of the more underrated public spaces/parks in the city IMO

Back