Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

Thanks for the picture updates, sMT and everyone else. I'm surprised at how quickly this thing has moved. Seems like just a few weeks ago they were still digging.

by me

7674007234_3d03150415_b.jpg

just cellphone picture, while I was walking by.

Counting down the days before the Intercontinental Hotel across the tracks loses all it's customers - Delta & Bremner tower site from today:

nK6mp.jpg

Counting down the days before the Intercontinental Hotel across the tracks loses all it's customers.

I doubt the Intercon will loose that many customers, the Delta Chelsea is the one that I can see hurting the most once the new Delta opens. The Chelsea could loose many corporate clients and will have to depend more on the families, groups and tours (which currently brings in a large portion of their business), with the new hotel being much closer to the business district and corporately oriented, that is where the corporate business will go.
The Intercontinental Hotels Group is more known internationally with properties around the world, where the Delta is strictly within Canada, companies that have contracts with the IHG worldwide aren't likely to move over to the shiny new hotel across the street in only one city.

I doubt the Intercon will loose that many customers, the Delta Chelsea is the one that I can see hurting the most once the new Delta opens. The Chelsea could loose many corporate clients and will have to depend more on the families, groups and tours (which currently brings in a large portion of their business), with the new hotel being much closer to the business district and corporately oriented, that is where the corporate business will go.
The Intercontinental Hotels Group is more known internationally with properties around the world, where the Delta is strictly within Canada, companies that have contracts with the IHG worldwide aren't likely to move over to the shiny new hotel across the street in only one city.

Ahh I didn't think of that. Thanks :)

One question though: Don't you think the Intercontinental will lose potential customers that rely on lodging close to Union - or people that are on business trips to the southcore area or convention centre (without associated hotel contracts)

One question though: Don't you think the Intercontinental will lose potential customers that rely on lodging close to Union - or people that are on business trips to the southcore area or convention centre (without associated hotel contracts)

People shopping around for hotel rooms, will search out whichever hotel best suits their needs and will book with that hotel regardless of whether there is a newer (or older) option. There is no guarantee that more people will choose the Delta over the Intercontinental just because it is newer (unless age is one of their requirements). There are many other choices in the area (Ritz, Royal York, Renaissance, Le Germain [x2], Hyatt Regency, etc.) and all are competing with each other for business, the new Delta is just 1 more in the mix.

Back