Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

From Gil over at SSC...
Not quite sure where this would go, but a source from the Delta Chelsea said that they'd be closing the hotel in 2 years once the new Southcore Delta is completed. Anybody want to speculate as to what will become of the Delta Chelsea site once the move is complete?

... cheap apartment rentals.. at least visually

The Delta Chelsea is a pretty busy hotel. If Delta wants to go more upmarket business-y only, then maybe they'll drop this location, but I could see this place as a good fit for a number of other mid-market brands. I can't see it closing as a hotel.

The Delta Chelsea is a pretty busy hotel. If Delta wants to go more upmarket business-y only, then maybe they'll drop this location, but I could see this place as a good fit for a number of other mid-market brands. I can't see it closing as a hotel.

Seeing todays market........the Delta or whoever takes over is going to have to invest into an expensive makeover in order to stay competitive

With whats going down with the Sutton, Four Seasons, and the Hilton Garden Inn, im going to believe the rumour......and bet its days are numbered
the old saying, 'the bigger they are, the harder they fall'

-

That settles it. GRID readers are dumb as bricks mixed with poo.

Southcore rhymes with Hardcore. How could there ever be better name?

Southcore is Hardcore!

I'm still going to call it Southcore. Just like I still call it the Sky Dome and the O'keefe Centre.

Harbour District is dumb, given that it's not even on QQ or the Harbour itself. Then again, what do you expect from the same publication that deemed TO's new nickname to be 'El Toro'? Ok fine it was Eye Weekly but the publication is essentially the same thing with a little more Toronto Life, and removal of the hooker ads.

Even worse were the SoFro, SoCo NYC style names. I don't see why the area shouldn't be called Southcore given that this whole construction project is called Southcore Financial Centre. That'd be like not calling CityPlace, CityPlace.

The only competing name could be when ICE was in marketing they were calling it 'York Centre' but tha name is also kinda dumb because York Centre is a federal riding in north TO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Centre

Southcore seems fine to me.

Last edited:
But Southcore isn't the name of the whole construction project, it's just the name of the three towers on the north side of Bremner.

Seeing todays market........the Delta or whoever takes over is going to have to invest into an expensive makeover in order to stay competitive

With whats going down with the Sutton, Four Seasons, and the Hilton Garden Inn, im going to believe the rumour......and bet its days are numbered
the old saying, 'the bigger they are, the harder they fall'

-

We've seen many renderings including a complete facade replacement for the Delta Chelsea already. I can see the ownership (which likely has nothing to do with the name of the hotel) going that direction. It is a popular hotel and the biggest in the country. It doesn't compare to a long failing hotel, a luxury brand moving to new digs down the street and, a cheap, throw away conversion from ten years ago. On the other hand, the Best Western Primrose definitely falls in the Sutton Hotel category.

True, but I think the name carries enough weight. I live in Infinity II. Other than saying I live in one of the top 5 worst buildings in TO according to UT, I don't have an identifiable part of town to say where I live other than what I tell people now 'I live in between Rogers and the ACC'. Saying I live in 'Harbour District' doesn't seem right, I'd reserve that for the people who live at Waterclub, Riveria and all the other condos going along the western portion of QQ.

That's why I say Southcore seems like a good enough name, other than just saying I'm near the ACC/Rogers. I guess 'Stadium District' could work too, but it's got way more condos and offices than it does arenas, so that might be so representative of the area either.

And I will not entertain any NY abbreviated names. I'd rather call my area 'the former rail lands' than SoCo. We apparently already have one such district in TO with such a moniker, called NoLa (north of lakeshore): http://www.thestar.com/living/reale...orth-of-lakeshore-decides-to-call-itself-nola

If you're going to name the entire neighbourhood for a single development why not just call it CityPlace, or Maple Leaf Square? Or why not just give the intersection like most people do, and say you live at Simcoe and Bremner?

Back