1.2K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Toronto skyline

Taken last week.

skyline-22-07-2011.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures I took in the mid eighties... probably 85.

skyline_day_1985.jpg

skyline_night_1985.jpg

Some thoughts on these older pics:

FCP looked great when it was new.
Also, much better with the original Bank of Montreal logo on it.
Also, much better without the atrocious radio antennae on the top.
All the bank towers looked better when you could see them almost from top to bottom without obstruction.

For these reasons, from a purely aesthetic perspective, I prefer the way Toronto's skyline looked 25 years ago to the way it looks today.

Before anyone jumps on me, let me emphasize that by saying this, I mean I prefer the way the city looked in a picture taken from a distance. I wouldn't suggest that Toronto was a better place to live in that time

Though we share, along with other Great Lakes cities, the distinction of being defined as a "city by the lake" we are unique amongst them in being a city with ravines. For my money, the defining image of our great metropolis isn't the view from the islands but the view of the downtown from across Riverdale Park.

Some thoughts on these older pics:

FCP looked great when it was new.
Also, much better with the original Bank of Montreal logo on it.
Also, much better without the atrocious radio antennae on the top.
All the bank towers looked better when you could see them almost from top to bottom without obstruction.

For these reasons, from a purely aesthetic perspective, I prefer the way Toronto's skyline looked 25 years ago to the way it looks today.

With fewer really tall buildings, their relative merits were thrown into contrast - and we could admire how Pei's tower worked with Mies's towers, and how FCP didn't quite fit in. What we have now is a collective cluster where they're all competing.

From Yonge and Bloor. We should be able to see AURA and FIVE in this vantage point. Not sure what else may surprise us.

skyline-15-09-2011-2.jpg

excellent pic ^^^ ROCP and Murano just look so good next to each other. and look great on the skyline/make up the middle of the skyline/streetwall.

Back