Toronto SIX50 King West | ?m | 16s | Freed | Core Architects

28 March 2012

043pxp.jpg

The only angle from which the King St W building looks any good:

039vq.jpg

Last edited:
Strange, cause its the small building that looks like crap, the taller tower actually looks like one of better modern architectural buildings in this city...i guess with many average glass boxes lately going up in the city, people are just having a hard time of being a fan of that design.
I also find that there a lot of people... that if they dont like the real estate developer, they will constantley bad mouth the project. Shame

To me its stunning and one of the best being built.. the rest of the city should be so lucky.

Last edited:
There are many precedents of buildings this scale that make a far better impression. A couple of Freed's earlier efforts, such as 550 Wellington and 10 Morrison, are better examples. The Bathurst tower of 650 King is clumsy. Fashion House may fare much better, but that is still to be seen.

Yes, the rest of the city would benefit from well-designed eight to twelve floor buildings. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them.

I find nothing about this project (other than perhaps its misleading renderings) to be "engaging". The building on King is not very interesting, but isn't offensive per se. The tower just looks very unresolved and clumsy... the brick wall, the overbearing horizontality of the middle section, the proportions that are unintentionally awkward.

Back