Toronto Sherway Gardens Expansion | ?m | 2s | Cadillac Fairview | DIALOG

I really like the new American menswear shop UNTUCKit store. I hope it does well and fends off the "different Canadian market trend" that is taking down many businesses trying to start up operations north of the border. In fact I'm very amused that CFSherway Gardens was chosen as their first Canadian location. IMO opinion I think this is a positive and demonstrates that CFSherway Gardens does have potential to attract new opportunities and find its niche in the ever changing Canadian retail market.

I have a different take. If they targeted Sherway for their first store, then they are probably being more risk-averse.

Yorkdale and Eaton Centre are more locations for lost-leader locations for the purpose of brand exposure.

25 THE WEST MALL
Ward 03 - Etob. York District

Proposed 8 new buildings at "Sherway Gardens" that will accomodate new residential, retail, office, and hotel uses.
Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
OPA​
19 187348 WET 03 OZ​
Jul 11, 2019​
Under Review​

25 THE WEST MALL
Ward 03 - Etob. York District

Proposed 8 new buildings at "Sherway Gardens" that will accomodate new residential, retail, office, and hotel uses.
Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
OPA​
19 187348 WET 03 OZ​
Jul 11, 2019​
Under Review​

Is this different than the Queensway to north queen stuff? If so... Oh boy.

They really need to split the 501 or upcoming waterfront LRT between lakeshore and queensway and someone needs to bring back the Bloor Danforth extension to sherway.

The 45/123 is not going to be enough anymore
The city does have an extension of the Bloor line to Sherway in its Official Plan, but it's not really on any political radar. It wouldn't be the worst extension though to be honest, and probably wouldn't be terribly expensive, only 3.5km and probably half of it could be surface running along the rail corridor.

The city does have an extension of the Bloor line to Sherway in its Official Plan, but it's not really on any political radar. It wouldn't be the worst extension though to be honest, and probably wouldn't be terribly expensive, only 3.5km and probably half of it could be surface running along the rail corridor.
I wouldn't be opposed to making Sherway the Line 2 western terminal provided it's an affordable surface route. However I think one of the challenges may be that once Toronto signals support for a western extension Mississauga will insist the subway be extended further west possibly towards Cooksville.

Well here we go, it was just a matter of time before the parking lots hit the dust for the newest condo village. The city has had years to get their act together regarding transit in this area, but it's pretty much too late.

There would be a huge debate (a la Scarborough subway style) on whether to extend the Bloor-Danforth line to either Cloverdale Mall or Sherway Gardens whenever the funds become available, to the point that the area would continue to be neglected from a transit perspective. There are also no plans in place for any kind of LRT along Queensway whether that be 20, 30, or 50 years down the line either.

Simply put, the area will be starved significantly of any form of reliable transit and the TTC wont be able to accommodate the population boom here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here we go, it was just a matter of time before the parking lots hit the dust for the newest condo village. The city has had years to get their act together regarding transit in this area, but it's pretty much too late.

There would be a huge debate (a la Scarborough subway style) on whether to extend the Bloor-Danforth line to either Cloverdale Mall or Sherway Gardens whenever the funds become available, to the point that the area would continue to be neglected from a transit perspective. There are also no plans in place for any kind of LRT along Queensway whether that be 20, 30, or 50 years down the line either.

Simply put, the area will be starved significantly of any form of reliable transit and the TTC wont be able to accommodate the population boom here.

In other words, exactly how Toronto always does things. Reluctantly reactive, never proactive.

Typical.

In other words, exactly how Toronto always does things. Reluctantly reactive, never proactive.

Typical.
How many cities outside of those with totalitarian regimes in power act proactively? Which city has enough money floating around that they can get out in front of the needs? Where do they have the magic formula? Yes, we have huge issues to deal with, and it's taking a maddeningly long time to get a few decisions to go the right way, but I am sick of the self-loathing defeatism that singles us out for some reason. Every city has issues tripping it up, no one's perfect.

…and in regard to responses to this, take them to one of the city comparison threads, this one's for discussing what's going on at Sherway Gardens.

Hold on to your butts.

Hariri Pontarini, 2,382 residential units, 580 hotel units, 6,788 proposed new parking spaces almost split 50/50 above and below grade.

435esre.JPG
3r21qqw.JPG
5r3w4esa.JPG
23rwqas.JPG
54gersd.JPG
u65resddsf.JPG
4y5ewe.JPG
243t3rw.JPG

Back