Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

Forgot to ask my 2nd Q earlier -- west of Sherbourne Commons by a block or two, one of the older warehouses is now a pile of rubble. Anyone know what's happening? Is this part of the overall WT plan, or a private development?

How long before the wooden light posts are full of staples and posters? I thought they were going to put a taller neck wrap around the base of the poles... To make matters worse, Sugar Beach is directly across from Guvernment, one of the biggest posterers in this city. :(

How long before the wooden light posts are full of staples and posters? I thought they were going to put a taller neck wrap around the base of the poles... To make matters worse, Sugar Beach is directly across from Guvernment, one of the biggest posterers in this city. :(

meh wouldn't have helped, they generally use tape to keep them up as well.

Forgot to ask my 2nd Q earlier -- west of Sherbourne Commons by a block or two, one of the older warehouses is now a pile of rubble. Anyone know what's happening? Is this part of the overall WT plan, or a private development?

That's a private site - as is most of the north side of Queen's Quay. I assume it will be a parking lot for a while and then maybe another developer will want to build there. (There's a useful map of who owns what in the East Bayfront Precinct Plan document on the WT site. Go to http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/east_bayfront/planning_the_community and open it from bottom RH corner.)

They were testing the water sculptures yesterday and they looked very classy and were just loud enough to block out most of the noise from the Gardiner.

Drove by the North end of the park last night and noticed the fountains were lit up with blue and green lights. They looked AMAZING! (Just the water streams are lit)

May 29
5775847269_fbcab23baa_b.jpg

5776400768_b89d0cdcc3_b.jpg

5776405302_2e9d187e7a_b.jpg

^ WOW, that looks so good!! :D I can't wait to see it in person. I'm guessing that the lights change colour periodically as well?

No, great does not do this justice ... I took a walk through, though it's not 100% complete it's nearly there.

Thoughts that come to mind: This can't be Toronto, we don't do things like this, anywhere ... the attention to detail and quality is amazing, even better then sugar beach which great as well. I'd love to know how this came to be, I was expecting another HTO project here (same with sugar beach), now HTO isn't bad but this is on a different level all together.

One can hope this sort of quality continues in the easy bayfront private developments by Hines and the like.

Is the water treatment plant already operational? When I was there this past Sunday there was no water flowing through the stream, just mounds of garbage. I really hope they somehow find a way to properly maintain this park.

Is the water treatment plant already operational? When I was there this past Sunday there was no water flowing through the stream, just mounds of garbage. I really hope they somehow find a way to properly maintain this park.

The water treatment system and the running water will be starting soon (next week or so someone on site told me the other day). So far maintenance of Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Common seems pretty good but I am not sure if they have been turned over to the City yet.

Back