Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

That's so so nice. My biggest worry here is that there will be vandalism, due to it being in an area that isn't so busy.

I thought the same thing. This will be tagged in no time.

From WT

Update: Sherbourne Common Skating Rink

The staking (THEIR typo!) rink at Sherbourne Common is scheduled to open on Monday, January 31. The 920 square metre skating rink, located directly in front of the park’s Pavilion, features stunning views of Lake Ontario and Toronto’s downtown skyline.

Over the past few months, construction crews have been working to complete final detail work on the roof of the Pavilion. Construction fencing surrounding the rink is now being removed to allow the city’s Park, Forestry and Recreation Department to operate the skating rink for the remainder of the skating season.

The skating rink was designed as an outdoor neighbourhood facility. A seating wall surrounds the eastern and western edge of the rink and rubber mats have been installed along the wall to make it easier to get skates on and off.

As the community develops, there will be amenities surrounding the skating rink. Until then, we recommend that visitors to the rink bring their own snacks and warm beverages. Washroom facilities will be available in the park’s Pavilion between the hours of 9am and 10pm. The ice surface will be serviced daily by a Zamboni.

Was just down at SC this morning and the little rink is now completed. Some guys were working on final cleanup and said the rink will open on Monday.

BTW , the "completed" pavillion looks great! I'm anxious to see what the Don River Park pavillion will look like. Has anyone seen sketches? I couldn't find any on the WT website.

I don't know about this pavilion: it looks a bit like an abstracted tractor or combine shed, replete with sheet metal finish.

BTW , the "completed" pavillion looks great! I'm anxious to see what the Don River Park pavillion will look like. Has anyone seen sketches? I couldn't find any on the WT website.

The metal framework of the Don Valley park pavillion is going up now - you can see it from Cherry Street or from the Eastern Avenue bridge - though it is a bit far away to see exactly what is going on. I too could not find a rendering.

The Zamboni is working on the skating rink at SC South today, though people have clearly already been skating there. Let the fun commence - though I doubt there will be any skater sharpening until next year.

The rink opened as promised on 31 January and here is more info from WT

The skating rink at Sherbourne Common is now open. Located just south of Queens Quay Boulevard between Lower Sherbourne and Bonnycastle Streets, the 920 square metre skating rink features stunning views of Lake Ontario and Toronto’s downtown skyline.

The skating rink, which is operated by the City of Toronto’s Parks, Forestry and Recreation Department, will be cleared of ice and snow and serviced daily by a Zamboni. Washroom facilities are available in the Pavilion between the hours of 9am and 10pm.

The skating rink was designed as an outdoor neighbourhood facility. A seating wall surrounds the eastern and western edge of the rink and rubber mats have been installed to make it easier to lace up. As the community develops, there will be amenities surrounding the skating rink. Until then, we recommend that visitors to the rink bring their own snacks and warm beverages.

The City will operate the skating rink until March 13 (weather-permitting) which is the end of its official skating season. While official City programming is not planned for this season, members of the community who have suggestions about how to use the rink for events may contact Wendy Jang, City of Toronto Supervisor of Active Living, Parks, Forestry & Recreation at wjang@toronto.ca. More information about other City of Toronto skating rinks is available online

Last edited:
Skating at Sherbourne Common today

5419380981_2c432532d9_b_d.jpg

Restaurant at Corus Building

I spoke to one of the guys working at the south-east corner of the Corus building again yesterday and he said they are working on a restaurant (called "Against the Grain").

He said it will have a big patio on the promenade and will open April or May. My wife and I spent a lot of hours relaxing at Sugar Beach last summer and we've been hoping for some restaurants or cafes on the promenade!

I spoke to one of the guys working at the south-east corner of the Corus building again yesterday and he said they are working on a restaurant (called "Against the Grain").

He said it will have a big patio on the promenade and will open April or May. My wife and I spent a lot of hours relaxing at Sugar Beach last summer and we've been hoping for some restaurants or cafes on the promenade!

This neigh has the potential to be the next King West imo I am watching this closely:cool:

Great to see the rink open! For so many years I've driven by this area and looked at gravel parking lots and abandonned buildings - we love seing the area come to life! Looking forward to seing the entire Sherbourne Common opening in the spring as well as watching the progress on Don River Park and Underpass Park throughout the year.

Being an east-ender, it's fun watching the changes on my long walks downtown as I cross the Don Valley.

Back