Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

Don River Park, the new 18 acre park Waterfront Toronto is opening in the West Don Lands, will include a skateboard park. We broke ground earlier this spring and the park is expected to open in 2012.

That's good news. If we want skateboarders to stop tearing up park benches, we need to at least give them some decent skate parks, where they can tear the hell out of all those crazy do-dads.

On another note, I hope the water channel in Sherbourne Common is more than a half inch deep. I went to Sherbourne Park the day it opened and I was totally underwhelmed by the tiny trickle of water flowing down the channel. It wasn't even enough to soak your ankles in. It mighthave been because the north portion wasn't finished but I hope when both are at full function, that the channel is at least a few feet deep. Turn on those taps and let's see some water flow.

I heard or read somewhere that there will be an ice rink here. Will it open this winter and is it at south park?

This is from CEO Report to WT Board last week:

City and WT staff is meeting over the next week to determine whether or not to open the Sherbourne Common South skating rink this winter. There is an issue as to how to service the rink in the interim, both from a staffing and an operational perspective. There is also the fact that there will be no tenant for the pavilion this winter. A decision should be rendered shortly.

Went by today. Saw foot high board all along the edge of the splash pad. But there's a lot of construction going on with fencing around the entire area. Don't think it's going to happen soon. Too bad, it would have been nice to go skating other than the harbourfront.

Went by today. Saw foot high board all along the edge of the splash pad. But there's a lot of construction going on with fencing around the entire area. Don't think it's going to happen soon. Too bad, it would have been nice to go skating other than the harbourfront.

I think the 'foot high board" is a very positive sign since these have been put up in the last few days (presumably just before Christmas). If the rink is not going to open why bother with them? The pavilion is certainly not going to be open but the rink looks as though it may be. Now I guess I just have to (re) learn how to skate!

When are they going to get around to re-aligning Lower Sherbourne? How can they finish the south-western corner of the Sherbourne Common on the north side of Queens Quay without completing the re-alignment?

It is winter now, so I cannot imagine any road re-alignment taking place until March at the earliest.

They are working on the east side RIGHT NOW - at least I saw work on 24 December- so that the park can get finished. It looks to me as though it's almost done and if the weather holds up the park should be finished in a week or so. (Though WT has announced it will not open until spring, presumably so they can lay sod and put in the smaller plants, the trees are already there. Sherbourne is closed going north from Queen's Quay. The City and WT had to make a compulsory purchase of the section on the west side of the old street line (from whoever owns the Federal Express area) and this doubtless takes time. According to the WT website: "Although almost all of the work on Sherbourne Common North has been substantially completed it has been decided that the park will remain closed to the public until the spring, by which time the balance of the planting will be installed and the water feature tested and turned on. As well, the eastern portion of Lower Sherbourne Street has been stopped up and closed in order to complete boulevard work on the east side of the street, as well as the final section of the park. Everything will be completed prior to officially opening the park next spring."

shercommona.jpg

shercommonb.jpg

I'm kinda surprised they use so much grass down here. It's basically unusable since every square inch is covered in geese poo.

A few more dogs roaming around will put an end to that.

Anyone know about a new reataurant coming soon on the south side of Corus Quay? I spoke to some guys working on the flooring one evening last week and they suggested that a reataurant would open here (on the south-east corner of the building) in April.

I'd love to see a nice restaurant with a big patio opened on the Waterfront Promenade by spring!!

Back