Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

The city really needs to build some more facilities for skaters, and then enforce anti-skateboarding in areas like this much more vigilantly. There's no doubt many of them are jackasses who like the skate in inappropriate places anyway, but if there were some more options downtown, the impact would definitely be lessened. I've been saying for ages that the underutilized spaces beneath the Gardiner would be perfect.

I agree.

Last edited:
from today
11282010059.jpg

11282010100.jpg

11282010121.jpg

Last edited:
The city really needs to build some more facilities for skaters, and then enforce anti-skateboarding in areas like this much more vigilantly. There's no doubt many of them are jackasses who like the skate in inappropriate places anyway, but if there were some more options downtown, the impact would definitely be lessened. I've been saying for ages that the underutilized spaces beneath the Gardiner would be perfect.

Hear Hear.

I hate seeing skateboarders not respecting architecture, but it seems to me to be a ridiculous and unsupportable idea that we should just order them to stop. I don't see any reason why as a sport it shouldn't have legitimate facilities and funding like hockey, football, tennis and even squash enjoy.

I wonder what an architect like Frank Gehry or Zaha Hadid could make of a project like this? Come to think of it, underpass park wouldn't have been a bad place to start trying.

Last edited:
Hear Hear.

I hate seeing skateboarders not respecting architecture, but it seems to me to be a ridiculous and unsupportable idea that we should just order them to stop. I don't see any reason why as a sport it shouldn't have legitimate facilities and funding like hockey, football, tennis and even squash enjoy.

I wonder what an architect like Frank Gehry or Zaha Hadid could make of a project like this? Come to think of it, underpass park wouldn't have been a bad place to start trying.

There's a large one near ash bridges bay park ..

Oh - true. I spoke a bit quickly. A quick internet search showed that there's about fifteen around Toronto and the GTA.
Two-thirds of them, though, are further out in Mississauga, Port Union, Newmarket, and East York. Only two are enclosed for protection against weather. There's an enclosed one off the alley on St. Nicholas street, but I wonder if it will go the way of the dodo when 5ive goes up?
Good to see, but I wonder if we could do better.

Thanks for the pics, androiduk and jasonzed.

Last edited:
I hate seeing skateboarders not respecting architecture, but it seems to me to be a ridiculous and unsupportable idea that we should just order them to stop. I don't see any reason why as a sport it shouldn't have legitimate facilities

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my impression is that a sense of anti-establishment is a large part of hardcore skater culture. Given that, I find it hard to believe that established skate parks would necessarily ameliorate the problem to any great degree.

Love the lights!! thanks for the pics!! are they a white-ish light when lit up or yellow-ish?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my impression is that a sense of anti-establishment is a large part of hardcore skater culture. Given that, I find it hard to believe that established skate parks would necessarily ameliorate the problem to any great degree.

I don't think it's as much anti-establishment as it is that kids will skate where ever it's good to skate.

I don't think established skate parks would eliminate the problem either. Perhaps they do minimize it, at least. But I can also imagine that skateboarders will skate anywhere that's close by or "on the way" even if it's on the way to a skate park. Ultimately, I believe skate parks provide a safe and dedicated playground for skaters to do stunts using equipment that was specifically made for that purpose and as such they would be drawn to them. But just as much as they might appreciate it being made specifically for them, I doubt that anyone would accept the fact that they are "not allowed" to skate or do stunts anywhere else where they see the opportunity, challenge, and excitement to do so. Most of them are kids, after all, and that's what being a kid is all about.

Also when a skate park is built, I imagine most skaters (especially the kids) aren't reading up on the latest in city planning or have that much of an idea that it was built with the intention of them no longer skating in other areas.

Back