Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

FFS Denzil:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/po...ocks-and-36-pink-umbrellas&pubdate=2014-06-26

The issue w the pavilion at Sherbourne Commons is more disturbing. Sorry, but playing hockey anywhere there is ice is not a right - and damage to city property should be Bourne by whomever caused it.

AoD

To be honest, that problem should have been thought of in the first place. Any large icy surface will attract hockey players, like it or not.

The ice rink will simply need to be broken up into smaller pads that inhibit hockey, or the washroom pavillion will need to be reclad in a tougher material.

As for Minnan, he's simply full of b.s., hot air and is trying to position himself for reelection as the outraged fiscal conservative (he's not, after Javis). Why were these 'issues' not raised when Sugar Beach and Sherborune Commons first opened?

To be honest, that problem should have been thought of in the first place. Any large icy surface will attract hockey players, like it or not.

The ice rink will simply need to be broken up into smaller pads that inhibit hockey, or the washroom pavillion will need to be reclad in a tougher material.

As for Minnan, he's simply full of b.s., hot air and is trying to position himself for reelection as the outraged fiscal conservative (he's not, after Javis). Why were these 'issues' not raised when Sugar Beach and Sherborune Commons first opened?

Sorry I disagree (and I definitely disagree with your suggested solution since the pond was designed for use as a skating rink). The system should not adjust to the incapability of someone to follow rules, at an added cost. Doing so is encouraging misbehaviour - warning and punishment is the solution.

AoD

Sorry I disagree (and I definitely disagree with your suggested solution since the pond was designed for use as a skating rink). The system should not adjust to the incapability of someone to follow rules, at an added cost. Doing so is encouraging misbehaviour - warning and punishment is the solution.

AoD

I agree. But put more simply, why does every rink have to have hockey? Not that I have anything against hockey, I have played it, I enjoy it a lot, but I also enjoy just having a free skate and not needing to be concerned with pucks flying at my head or the inattention of hockey players in pursuit of the puck, with little attention to others who just want to skate. That's one of the things that bothered me a bit about my local outdoor rink, there is hockey always going on it seems and it makes it hard to just skate freely. If the common is relegated and designed purely for free skate, let it be so, as there surely are plenty of other spots around to go play some shinny. This is a nice addition to the city and we should respect its intended use.

Well said. Same goes for street hockey as well - okay, I understand that one may want to do so on the road, which is fine - but since when did using someone else's driveway and then making dents over your neighbours' garage doors became an acceptable practice?

AoD

Everything costs a lot, and it's hard to know sometimes what is sensible spending. What is the cost of one street light relative to the cost of a pink umbrella? Fourteen thousand for an umbrella can seem excessive, as can the cost of a house for a couple of rocks, but at least Sugar Beach is a success, popular and well-used. Sherbourne Common is less well-used. I've never been there in winter, but I recommended the new ice-rink to a friend I sometimes skate with who lives around Sherbourne and King. She said it was tiny. Too tiny. Never bothered putting on her skates. And while that building is certainly interesting, it isn't used in the way it was intended.

I like skating at Ryerson, but the enjoyment there is impacted by students who use it for hockey. There are the glass walls of the Image Arts building beside it, but the hockey players there at least seem to have enough sense to keep the puck down. What are you going to do, who's going to enforce the rules? It's like anything else - cars in bike lanes, dogs running free in parks, bags on TTC seats - we'll put up another sign, but people will keep on pushing the limits and the rest of us will grumble about it under our breath.

The problem with building to clever designs and gorgeous renders is not just the expense, but that the spaces are often never utilized in the way they were intended, and are vulnerable to all kinds of misuse, as well as city neglect.

Can we stop blaming hockey for the damage?

This is not a result of hockey, it is simply vandalism. Some kids likely noticed they could dent the material with a puck, and made a game out of it. Nothing to do with how the ice is used, just stupid people.

Anyone there to just play hockey would likely stop once they noticed damage. They wouldn't continue aiming for the same spot. Only a vandal would.

Last edited:
As for Minnan, he's simply full of b.s., hot air and is trying to position himself for reelection as the outraged fiscal conservative (he's not, after Javis).

(also voted for Rob's unfunded Sheppard subway)

AoD

Like it or not, sometimes people will break the rules. I'd prefer that the system "adjust to the incapability of someone to follow rules", rather than for everyone else to put up with the damage inflicted on the pavilion. I don't agree with modifying the ice rink, however recladding the pavilion would help.

GraphicMatt 5:44pm via Echofon
Pretty ridiculous how much mileage Minnan-Wong got out of his expensive umbrellas tantrum. Did we learn nothing from the chipmunk suit?

Ugh, I should never read the comment sections of these articles. "Just buy some from IKEA." Right, because nothing says class like a few crappy flimsy umbrellas that won't last outside more than a month. These aren't even really umbrellas, they're solid sculptures. So it makes sense that it's expensive. Is it too expensive? Who knows? It's hard to estimate what these things really cost.

The water was working on Wednesday so I guess I made it just in time before it was cut off. The area desperately needs some destinations, a couple restaurants and some retail space would go a long way, which Monde and Aqualina should provide. I was disappointed to see some tagging too throughout the park. Hopefully they'll be removed soon.

Sugar Beach by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Sugar Beach by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Corus and George Brown by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Toronto by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Sherbourne Common by Marcanadian, on Flickr

What a colossal waste of money! :p

Last edited: