Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

I really wish HtO can be upgraded to the same level of excellence as Sugar Beach - it just doesn't compare favourably, and it's only going to get worse as other public realm improvements along the waterfront comes online.

AoD

I really wish HtO can be upgraded to the same level of excellence as Sugar Beach - it just doesn't compare favourably, and it's only going to get worse as other public realm improvements along the waterfront comes online.

AoD

Do you know if the QQ granite installation is going to extend back into HTO? That would certainly be a huge improvement.

So the water feature never got fixed I assume since it was never turned on and now summer has come and gone. Sad, design flaws?, poor construction? Or both? Should this not have some sort of warranty- like we guarantee it will work for at least 3 years with relatively low maintance?

The water feature is working today.

IMG_20140530_133235.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140530_133235.jpg
    IMG_20140530_133235.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,286
The water feature is working today.
Great news, there was apparently a problem with the rocks in the 'basin" (people threw them at the 'screens') and a 'health & safety' concern about the depth of the water in the basins in case someone drowned. (Really! Sounds like natural selection to me :->) In any case, they poured additional concrete into the basins to make them far shallower and it's great the wonderful water feature now works again. Now to get WT or the City to replace the (few) dead trees on both North and South Commons.

I find it so lame that international articles like this always say Canada rather than Toronto. It just shows how much the rest of the world sees Toronto as an unknown.

The official name of the park is "Canada's Sugar Beach", which is also reflected in the title of our associated dataBase file. That "international article" is from the Waterfront Toronto website.

Sugar Beach turned out amazing and I'm sure the Bayside expansion will as well. Such a shame that the area feels so isolated. I really wish there was a lakeside path connecting to Pier 27.

As long a Redpath is there, there will always be a gap, but I suppose that by this time next year* we should have the path going around the west and south sides of Pier 27.

*Or at least in time for the Pan Am Games.

Speaking of turned off, I noticed that the fish fountain between Skydome and the aquarium, is also not functioning this year. It was out of service for the last 2 years until the end of last summer, when it was finally repaired and turned on for about 2 weeks. So after all that work to repair it, now it sits dry as a bone. What's up with this city and its water features/fountains? We have so few decent fountains and the ones we do have, we fail to properly maintain. Don't get me started about drinking fountains.

It can't be the cold. I was in Chicago this past weekend and water features....EVERYWHERE !!!!!! But I know that they collect tax money specifically for the city and it stays in the city.

Back