News   Apr 23, 2024
 408     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 377     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Sewage/tree root problems

Sorry for reincarnate an old thread, but I had my sewer line replaced today due to the city tree out front. The pipe with the root blockage was under my porch, about 18 ft from the city tree. The crew also recommended I call 311 as they saw roots (but not yet a blockage) in the city's section of the sewer line that goes from my house to the main line in the road. When I told 311 of what I did, he said we can't claim for compensation, which isn't why I was calling 311, as I just wanted the city section scoped and assessed.

I didn't think to make a claim against the city, nor call an inspector from the city while my crew was here working, since my understanding was that the city tree root claim program was cancelled. The program, called the Toronto Tree Root Drain Grant program seems to have been canceled in 2011, as suggested here https://www.antaplumbing.com/greenprogram.html

But if it's cancelled, what's the 311 guy on about? Is there compensation for root damage? I'm likely too late, as I had the work done today without a city inspector.

Sorry for reincarnate an old thread, but I had my sewer line replaced today due to the city tree out front. The pipe with the root blockage was under my porch, about 18 ft from the city tree. The crew also recommended I call 311 as they saw roots (but not yet a blockage) in the city's section of the sewer line that goes from my house to the main line in the road. When I told 311 of what I did, he said we can't claim for compensation, which isn't why I was calling 311, as I just wanted the city section scoped and assessed.

I didn't think to make a claim against the city, nor call an inspector from the city while my crew was here working, since my understanding was that the city tree root claim program was cancelled. The program, called the Toronto Tree Root Drain Grant program seems to have been canceled in 2011, as suggested here https://www.antaplumbing.com/greenprogram.html

But if it's cancelled, what's the 311 guy on about? Is there compensation for root damage? I'm likely too late, as I had the work done today without a city inspector.
The claim system was for damaged pipes on your property caused by a city owned tree. The city is still 100% responsible for damaged pipes on city property.

Your contractor was referring to the portion of your sewer past the property line, which city crews will maintain without charge. Maybe open a ticket via email and explain what your contractor saw. The city should come in and use your new access pipes to clear out the public side at no cost.

The claim system was for damaged pipes on your property caused by a city owned tree. The city is still 100% responsible for damaged pipes on city property.

Your contractor was referring to the portion of your sewer past the property line, which city crews will maintain without charge. Maybe open a ticket via email and explain what your contractor saw. The city should come in and use your new access pipes to clear out the public side at no cost.
Thanks. I'll do as you suggest, thanks.

I was hoping there was a claim program for sewer blockage on my property caused by a city owned tree.

Back