Toronto Scotiabank North Tower at Bay Adelaide Centre | 140.2m | 32s | Brookfield | KPMB

When BAC East was just getting started, they had to put a support column for the tower pretty much through the middle of the Marché restaurant. It was only closed down for about a week as I recall and then back up and running.
Yes, they had to do the same in the dentail office - they've had to shut down part of their office since construction started.

They also completely shut down the printing shop, the luggage store, and the accessories store.

I'm bumping this thread since its been dormant for over a year.
The east tower is done. I'm really curious where this project is at now.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this thread since its been dormant for over a year.
The east tower is done. I'm really curious where this project is at now.
Yup, the big question is which will be Toronto's next office tower to go under construction. A report on the office market from this past week showed that Toronto has maintained its position as the tightest office market on the continent, despite the little dips in the economy as of late. So, there'll have to be at least another one added to the mix soon…

Already being added to the mix are, as you mentioned, Bay Adelaide East: now finished and filling with with workers, with One York the next to finish and fill. After that it will be the EY Tower. Allied and RioCan's King Portland Centre has just started construction, but it's smaller. They want to begin on their smaller second phase at QRC West soon too.

Allied and RioCan have also stated at they want to get started on the office tower at The Well as it's part of that huge project. There are rumours they'll be announcing a lead tenant for it soon… so it may be the next biggish one to get the go ahead. Ivanhoe Cambridge and Hines, meanwhile, have some pressure on them to get going on the first Bay Park Centre tower as Metrolinx wants its new bus terminal sooner as opposed to later.

Those two projects would likely satisfy demand for long enough that if they are the next two to go ahead, we probably won't hear of any other starts for a couple more years at least. This one—Bay Adelaide North—will be competing for tenants with a bunch of other buildings that are approved and ready to go whenever the right lead tenant(s) step up to the plate. Those others include 160 Front West, Union Centre, 16 York. The second tower at the Bay Park Centre will be another attractive option once the first one gets going.

There are others as well. 388 King West has its zoning, while 30 Bay does not yet. A bunch of mixed-use developments will be looking for businesses to fill their office portions, like 19 Duncan and 100 Simcoe.

There are more, but I've typed enough for now.

Most of the office towers of the past decade have been dull infill that could be built anywhere. I'd like to see a real landmark office tower built like we built in the 1960s-1980s, now that vacancy rates are so low.

Last edited:
I think the Bay Park Centre will produce a couple landmarks, and the EY Tower is turning out to be a standout of sorts. 160 Front and the Union Centre hold some promise. HPA's office tower at The Well looks gorgeous in the renderings. This one - Bay Adelaide North may just end up as plain as BA East, who knows. Here's hoping that 30 Bay takes advantage of its prominent position to stand out a bit!

Personally, my order of interest is: Bay Park > Union Center > 160 Front W > 16 York > Bay Adelaide North. I'd be happy if any of them popped up sooner rather than later, but I'd love to see Bay Park and Union Center break ground asap.

Yup, the big question is which will be Toronto's next office tower to go under construction. A report on the office market from this past week showed that Toronto has maintained its position as the tightest office market on the continent, despite the little dips in the economy as of late. So, there'll have to be at least another one added to the mix soon…

Already being added to the mix are, as you mentioned, Bay Adelaide East: now finished and filling with with workers, with One York the next to finish and fill. After that it will be the EY Tower. Allied and RioCan's King Portland Centre has just started construction, but it's smaller. They want to begin on their smaller second phase at QRC West soon too.

Allied and RioCan have also stated at they want to get started on the office tower at The Well as it's part of that huge project. There are rumours they'll be announcing a lead tenant for it soon… so it may be the next biggish one to get the go ahead. Ivanhoe Cambridge and Hines, meanwhile, have some pressure on them to get going on the first Bay Park Centre tower as Metrolinx wants its new bus terminal sooner as opposed to later.

Those two projects would likely satisfy demand for long enough that if they are the next two to go ahead, we probably won't hear of any other starts for a couple more years at least. This one—Bay Adelaide North—will be competing for tenants with a bunch of other buildings that are approved and ready togo whenever the right lead tenant(s) step up to the plate. Those others include 160 Front West, Union Centre, 16 York. The second tower at the Bay Park Centre will be another attractive option once the first one gets going.

There are others as well. 388 King West has its zoning, while 30 Bay does not yet. A bunch of mixed-use developments will be looking for businesses to fill their office portions, like 19 Duncan and 100 Simcoe.

There are more, but I've typed enough for now.

You are the best Interchange42, you are the best. Thanks so much.

So I guess it's safe to assume that the hotel/office hybrid option for the final phase will be scrapped in favour of all-office then. My favourite version of the master plan was the slimmer and taller version of phase III that was envisioned as mixed-use at the time. What will probably end up being a spin on the first two phases, it will be nice to finally see this stretch of Temperamce energized, and cloud gardens reinvigorated.
Bay Park is my pick, and my favourite office proposal of the bunch.

Ya know, @steveve, my favourite version land-use-wise is also the version of BA North that would have a hotel in it, as it would help to animate the block, the Cloud Gardens, and Arnell Square at hours other than office hours. Not that I think the Brookfield types are reading this post and ready to do my bidding, but, if they were to go with a hotel on the upper floors, it wouldn't take them so long to lease the tower! (Meanwhile the food court at the base here IS FULL at lunchtime, and the BA Centre doesn't really need more office workers to prop it up, so a hotel use would work better on that account too.) Just saying, Brookfield!

Ya know, @steveve, my favourite version land-use-wise is also the version of BA North that would have a hotel in it, as it would help to animate the block, the Cloud Gardens, and Arnell Square at hours other than office hours. Not that I think the Brookfield types are reading this post and ready to do my bidding, but, if they were to go with a hotel on the upper floors, it wouldn't take them so long to lease the tower! (Meanwhile the food court at the base here IS FULL at lunchtime, and the BA Centre doesn't really need more office workers to prop it up, so a hotel use would work better on that account too.) Just saying, Brookfield!

Ya, and maybe it would help with getting rid of the vagrants that use Cloud Gardens as a place to do drugs and sleep. Can't even enjoy it anymore in the evenings unfortunately.

So I guess it's safe to assume that the hotel/office hybrid option for the final phase will be scrapped in favour of all-office then. My favourite version of the master plan was the slimmer and taller version of phase III that was envisioned as mixed-use at the time. What will probably end up being a spin on the first two phases, it will be nice to finally see this stretch of Temperamce energized, and cloud gardens reinvigorated.
Bay Park is my pick, and my favourite office proposal of the bunch.

Mixed use for the site is ancient history. Does Brookfield even have hotel properties?

Allied recently said in one of the papers that they have tenants interested in both their Well tower and Union Centre. I wish I had saved the link. They made it sound as though these were different prospective tenants for each tower, but were not specific.

Given how tight vacancy rates are I would not be surprised to see a few big towers start soon. I suspect part of the equation is how willing some tenants are to back-fill space in the older buildings for lower rent, and how many opt for space in one of the smaller buildings, which seems to be a popular option these days.

Allied recently said in one of the papers that they have tenants interested in both their Well tower and Union Centre. I wish I had saved the link. They made it sound as though these were different prospective tenants for each tower, but were not specific.

Given how tight vacancy rates are I would not be surprised to see a few big towers start soon. I suspect part of the equation is how willing some tenants are to back-fill space in the older buildings for lower rent, and how many opt for space in one of the smaller buildings, which seems to be a popular option these days.

I think you are looking for this article.
Thanks for bringing up a useful link Waterloo Guy.

Allied Properties REIT joins Toronto’s office construction boom as tenants reject older towers for new spaces

http://business.financialpost.com/n...t-older-towers-for-new-spaces?__lsa=2780-1449

"One of the REIT’s biggest projects is The Well, a $1.4-billion project in Toronto’s west end. The 7.6 acre (3.1 hectare) site, currently surrounded by condominium towers and trendy restaurants, is set to become 3.1 million square feet of residential, office, and retail space, the largest private mixed-use project in the country. Allied is in talks with six potential office tenants and Emory expects to lock at least one down by year-end...Emory is seeing enough demand in Toronto that he’s optimistic of filling the 1.2 million-square-foot Union Centre, a two-minute walk from the subway station of the same name that carries thousands of downtown workers daily. Allied is talking to several large tenants who could take as much as 600,000 square feet, he said."

Back