Toronto SCOOP | 22.86m | 6s | Graywood | CMV

April 4, 2020

20200404_102519.jpg
20200404_102530.jpg
20200404_102616.jpg
20200404_102631.jpg

I think this turned out very well. Another good recent project from CMV (formerly known as SMV) in Toronto. Simple but elegant construction and details. Remember people, this is not Yorkville. It is St. Clair and Old Weston Road. Entirely appropriate and frankly impressive result.

I think this turned out very well. Another good recent project from CMV (formerly known as SMV) in Toronto. Simple but elegant construction and details. Remember people, this is not Yorkville. It is St. Clair and Old Weston Road. Entirely appropriate and frankly impressive result.

I agree, I like how the building is coming together. This part of the city is quite bland and lacked any flair whatsoever. It is a fairly safe design with clean lines all around, something more abstract would stand out too much in the area but I think this design blends in quite nicely into the environment. Also, the design caters to the demographics as well; these aren't 3 million dollar condo units, they are practical in terms of pricing per square foot which is why this area in the west end is becoming very attractive to buyers and developers.

It looks like a bit of a blob from a distance. There's too little visual texture on the facade. The metal panel cladding looks cheap. But the project will help revitalize the area and make it more walkable. I'm hoping Reunion Crossing will have better execution in terms of exterior finishes.

By elegant details are you referring to the HVAC vents and pipes that are on the verge of defining the architecture? Or is it the exquisite detailing of the window frames? Please explain.

In all honesty, the typical new TCHC building looks better than this. It's not a disaster, but it could have been done better. It doesn't matter that it's not Yorkville.

By elegant details are you referring to the HVAC vents and pipes that are on the verge of defining the architecture? Or is it the exquisite detailing of the window frames? Please explain.
Ha ha. No, not those. I mean the form and materials are simple and clean, especially at an appropriate budget level for the corresponding revenues in this area. I like that the design has not been overthought and I also appreciate a new building without the approach we are seeing in many new buildings in Toronto which is to zig zag and randomize everything, I guess with the goal of trying to fool people into thinking that the mass is less than what it is. This one is straightforward and just a solid, clean, nice bit of infill in a traditionally underdeveloped area. There are some nice little touches showing thoughtful design within budget such as the white brick and the building address lettering. I also like seeing a building with a solid exterior and cladding with “punch” windows as opposed to yet another window wall and spandrel mega-mullion-mess.

Back