Toronto Scarborough Junction Masterplan | 188.3m | 58s | Republic | Giannone Petricone

No pedestrian bridge over the rail corridor?

The GO Station is (currently) immediately adjacent to this site; at least during station hours, I imagine one could use the tunnels under the platforms for that purpose. Not the most aesthetically pleasing connection, but that's a cheap fix.

One could easily elegantly tile/muralize and illuminate those tunnels for under 100k per tunnel, which is a small fraction of what a new bridge would cost.

More optimism from @Amare. Previously, @Northern Light documented this rarest of phenomena. A special day this is.
Could be a side effect of what happens when you recover from the mild effects of Covid even when fully vaccinated. ;)

The GO Station is (currently) immediately adjacent to this site; at least during station hours, I imagine one could use the tunnels under the platforms for that purpose. Not the most aesthetically pleasing connection, but that's a cheap fix.

One could easily elegantly tile/muralize and illuminate those tunnels for under 100k per tunnel, which is a small fraction of what a new bridge would cost.
Theretically this could be done I agree, but having easy access to the other side of the rail corridor should be allowed at all points in the day/night. Not only just when Metrolinx tells the community they can or cant.

There are existing tunnel connections that will be apart of Block E, so really only a bridge or tunnel on the south end of the park would make sense for the buildings in the south and the other properties not part of this application.
I imagine with the upgrades they will be open longer, or at least be upgraded a bit.

1651716441825.png

What are the implications of this heading to the Ontario Land Tribunal? (I'm a novice so would love to know)

In theory, almost anything could happen, ranging from the OLT refusing the appeal (development, as proposed, denied), to accepting it as proposed in full. The OLT may also, through mediation, attempt to help the City and the proponent arrive
at a compromise.

All that said, my understanding of what's at issue, I believe, will favour the applicant here. I have not, in fairness, seen the City's case; but I suspect they have an uphill battle on their hands.

For greater clarity, We will need to see the agreed upon issues list at the OLT, which will be public, in due course.

Last edited:
In theory, almost anything could happen, ranging from the OLT refusing the appeal (development, as proposed, denied), to accepting it as proposed in full. The OLT may also, through mediation, attempt to help the City and the proponent arrive
at a compromise.

All that said, my understanding of what's at issue, I believe, will favour the applicant here. I have not, in fairness, seen the City's case; but I suspect they have an uphill battle on their hands.

For greater clarity, We will need to see the agreed upon issues list at the OLT, which will be public, in due course.
Thanks Northern Light! So there is a sticking point that the city and the proponent are unable to settle.

This development seems to be a positive development plan (to a novice such as myself) so I am curious to see what the dispute is.

Cheers.

Thanks Northern Light! So there is a sticking point that the city and the proponent are unable to settle.

This development seems to be a positive development plan (to a novice such as myself) so I am curious to see what the dispute is.

Cheers.
Sometimes a developer appeals to the OLT just so that they can get a date to get things settled, as an upcoming hearing puts pressure on the City to get their side of things worked out. Not saying that's the case here, I don't know, but just saying that unless you know for sure that there are disputes over some things, in some cases it's just the City not getting everything reviewed as quickly as the developer would like.

Should this not be approved; an 18-day hearing is scheduled for March 5th.

I imagine @RepublicDevelopments can't comment on this just yet, but I will bring it to their attention anyway.
It should get adopted by council next week. Ordinarily, that would turn a formal OLT hearing into a settlement hearing (if all the lawyers/witnesses are ready) - which should wrap up in a matter of hours since it does not look like there is any major opposition to this anymore.

It should get adopted by council next week. Ordinarily, that would turn a formal OLT hearing into a settlement hearing (if all the lawyers/witnesses are ready) - which should wrap up in a matter of hours since it does not look like there is any major opposition to this anymore.

I agree; just thought I would add the additional info.

Also, a surprise on the floor of Council is not unknown.

Back