Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

It needs something more than more condo towers. I don't think they are wrong, but just applying some condo towers on top, a la Air Canada Centre is not the solution. I refuse to believe that the solution for almost every parking lot in the city should be rebuilt as either a condo or condo/hotel. That is not to say that we cannot keep building condos, but why and how do condos solve the problem of what Maple Leaf Gardens is and well, ultimately can be?

While I like seeing parking lots disappear due to development, I am beginning to get a little nervous about the speed at which we are developing them. I would like to see better usage of the space, more inclusive design processes, better planning, more interesting layouts between how the building fit their site and their contexts and more interaction with the street.

Maple Leaf Gardens may no longer be an active arena, it holds a lot of sentimental value and is a valid piece of Toronto history. The project to work here is not a supermarket of mega proportions with condos on top, or just condos placed on top. It really needs to be something we haven't seen yet in this city and something which is much more incorporating and invigorating for the city and the area than a bunch of private residences.

Open it up to an international ideas competition and see what people come up with? Try something different and take an approach like they did maybe with the Gasometer here in Vienna.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasometer,_Vienna

p5

If condos were to be built here, I'd rather seem them be much more iconic than those designs. I mean those designs are great, but they are not iconic in any way.

Here's the Context design...
3683623452_8b1c11128c_o.jpg

thanks for digging these up wylie ~

had the Context proposal been built, it would certain fit in nicely with The Met 'pair' across the street :D

Wow, great designs. That first drawing shows Context using D&S -- I don't think I've ever seen them use anyone but aA (with the possible exceptioin of Tip Top Lofts -- also a restoration. Maybe aA don't touch older buildings?)

Hmmm... without its cool roof pinnacle feature, Maple Leaf Gardens is nothing. In fact, the entire roof makes it cool.

Whatever. I'd rather have it sit than have condos stacked on top. But if that happened I wouldn't be appalled. "Progress" has to happen.

^^ But there is a clause stating that the building cannot be used for entertainment purposes. But I wonder if MLSE themselves would appeal that if it meant getting a new hockey team placed in there.

I feel like that wouldn't happen though.

It's a bind because I don't want to see it sit there and rot... but condos just don't seem like a nice idea for the site.

EDIT:

hmmmmm..........
hearst-tower.jpg
hearst-tower.jpg

Last edited:
But there is a clause stating that the building cannot be used for entertainment purposes. But I wonder if MLSE themselves would appeal that if it meant getting a new hockey team placed in there.

Even David Miller subscribed to that idea. That's why he was backing a Hamilton bid for the NHL rather than a second team for Toronto.

People who think that MLG is suitable for NHL hockey have no concept of the business of sport. There's a reason why the Leafs moved out of it ten years ago.

If it weren't for the seats holding up the building, it could have some amazing potential. It's going to take someone with a lot of money and a vision if we're ever going to see MLG re-opened in any form.

Ryerson may not have a lot of money, but i think the site is ideal for them. How about Loblaws partnering with them in this fashion:

- Keep the seat structure and turn MLG into a lecture hall facility around the perimeter (where the seats are).
- What's left in the center, essentially the size of an ice rink would be turned into Loblaw's.

Ryerson may not have a lot of money, but i think the site is ideal for them. How about Loblaws partnering with them in this fashion:

- Keep the seat structure and turn MLG into a lecture hall facility around the perimeter (where the seats are).
- What's left in the center, essentially the size of an ice rink would be turned into Loblaw's.

Hey, your onto something here.
There are also several street level opportunities on both Church & Carlton that could be modified without affecting the integrity of the outside of the building. I think that ultimately it's going to take some imagination, money and making the whole configuration work to meet fire & building code.

Ryerson may not have a lot of money, but i think the site is ideal for them.

Ryerson looked into purchasing MLG about 5 years ago. They planned to keep the ice surface and deck over the upper levels of the building for additional classroom space. The plan was deemed cost prohibitive and unfortunately never went forward... it was one of the few plans that actually planned to retain the ice surface and limited seating.

Looks like the reality TV show idea is really happening here:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/08/21/10543106-sun.html

Historic Maple Leaf Gardens will play host to the CBC reality television show Battle of the Blades, in which hockey legends pair up with figure skaters to dance for charity.

"We have had an enormous reaction to the show being at the Gardens. A lot of people are excited to get the chance to walk into the Gardens," John Brunton, executive producer of the show said last night from Los Angeles.

"The building hasn't been gutted and we will bring in our own ice surface. Some seats are still there and we can easily replace the ones that are gone," he said.

"A lot of the charm of the building still exists."

(I think FOX tried this show already as "Figure Skating with the Stars" or whatever, but maybe it'll work better as a Canadian production.)

Good to see the building used for something again - and it seems that restoring it for skating won't be too costly

Back