Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

By far Maple Leaf Gardens was the most Grand of the arenas followed by the Chicago Stadiium And Boston Garden.

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder....exterior-wise I always ranked them:

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Montreal
5. Detroit
6. NY

Interior....I was only ever in 3 of them so I would rank them:

1. Chicago
2. Montreal
3. Toronto

But it really depends on whose eyes you are looking at them with!

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder....exterior-wise I always ranked them:

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Montreal
5. Detroit
6. NY

Interior....I was only ever in 3 of them so I would rank them:

1. Chicago
2. Montreal
3. Toronto

But it really depends on whose eyes you are looking at them with!

I think the retro picture of MLG is quite impressive and gives a good idea of what the place could look like with some refurbishment. Love the domed roof too! Also, the urban context of MLG looks quite a bit more impressive than Chicago's and some of the others. Maybe the area has changed over the years but the pre-demo pic of the Chicago stadium looks to be surrounded by car parks and empty lots?

september

This September there will be a reality show production made at the Gardens. The theme from what I understand are figure skaters being trained as hockey players and vise versa. (How boring is this), Thats all the info I have at the moment. Also just learned that the loblaws site at Dundas and Bloor have no plans for at least 2 years to sell to developers. (to bad what a waist of under used parking lot)

Also just learned that the loblaws site at Dundas and Bloor have no plans for at least 2 years to sell to developers. (to bad what a waist of under used parking lot)

I agree, it would be great to see a nice development on that site , but then again they are probably hoping that this economy improves and they can p/up a couple of extra mil.

This September there will be a reality show production made at the Gardens. The theme from what I understand are figure skaters being trained as hockey players and vise versa. (How boring is this), Thats all the info I have at the moment.

Is this CBC's Battle of the Blades?

http://www.tv-eh.com/2009/06/23/first-competitors-announced-for-battle-of-the-blades/

CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada’s Ron MacLean and four-time World Figure Skating Champion Kurt Browning to host national pairs competition CBC Television announced today the first competitors to sign on to participate in CBC Television’s BATTLE OF THE BLADES. NHL Hall of Famer and fan favourite Lanny McDonald, NHL Hall of Famer and six-time Stanley Cup-winner Glenn Anderson, legendary enforcers Tie Domi and Bob Probert, two-time Stanley Cup-winner and HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA analyst Craig Simpson, and two-time Stanley Cup-winner Stéphane Richer will go head-to-head in this fierce competition. These hockey heavyweights will be paired with some of Canada’s top female figure skaters in a competitive and thrilling pairs showdown beginning this October.

I agree, it would be great to see a nice development on that site , but then again they are probably hoping that this economy improves and they can p/up a couple of extra mil.

It is a shame because those people who do oppose the Feather Factory lofts and the other development on Ritchie their main complaint is parking availability and if the parking lot is developed then more parking is available once the street is extended ( if that is the long term plan on the avenue study I can't remember i think there were 3 plans). Not to beat a dead Banana but this is partly Perks fault because he imposed a no parking pad law for Parkdale High Park.

Is this CBC's Battle of the Blades?

Yep thats the one and I think that most of September it will be shot at the Gardens.

Like i said before, restore MLG and throw a couple condo towers overtop.:)

There's nothing to restore inside, it's essentially featureless. The outside of the building was cleaned and sandblasted about 15 years ago, it still looks pretty good. As has been noted earlier in this thread the building won't support condos or anything above. The seating areas support the four walls and roof, remove the seating and down comes the building. The only option is to disassemble the entire structure, start from scratch and then rebuild the exterior facades - or simply demolish the building. The expense of dismantling and rebuilding MLG to suit future uses would surely be cost prohibitive.

There's nothing to restore inside, it's essentially featureless. The outside of the building was cleaned and sandblasted about 15 years ago, it still looks pretty good. As has been noted earlier in this thread the building won't support condos or anything above. The seating areas support the four walls and roof, remove the seating and down comes the building. The only option is to disassemble the entire structure, start from scratch and then rebuild the exterior facades - or simply demolish the building. The expense of dismantling and rebuilding MLG to suit future uses would surely be cost prohibitive.

I thought it was also a Heritage building which now comes with it's own set of rules. http://www.friendsofmapleleafgardens.ca/history.cfm . Even with this production going on I'm sure some one will be there citing the does and don'ts of this building.

There were a few applications to do that a few years ago... I may have one of the context plans around somewhere....

Here's the Context design...

3683623406_3bbb51a836_o.jpg

3683623452_8b1c11128c_o.jpg

I don't remember who did this one...

3683623670_fd9d3fdb94_o.jpg

3683623608_0942e2a44d_o.jpg

Wow, thanks for these!!

The wood model in the last one smacks of Hariri Pontarini. Looks to be about 145m as it's about the same size as Simcoe Place.

I love the early conceptualization of Minto Midtown. The massing on the taller tower looks more like the current plans for the Gibson Square development.

Back