Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

... well so would a hospital. The point though was to maintain the retail character of the Yonge Dundas area. Perhaps this was a bait and switch to allow Ryerson to elbow its way in? Pretty idea of a building but i'd rather have seen their 'front door' on Church.

A front door on Church would have made no sense given the usage patterns of the campus.

AoD

The business school at Dundas and Bay has little presence for Ryerson, as the outward expression of the building is dominated by the Canadian Tire and Best Buy. Even though the Ryerson participation in Maple Leaf Gardens continues that building's sporting tradition it is probably now more identified as a Loblaws. Same dynamic with 10 Dundas, where the commercial uses overwhelm. So with this building maybe the commercial is being made subordinate to the institutional purpose of the development. I haven't seen this building up close at this near completion stage, but I like the solution along Yonge. It's an interesting transistion from a bold institutional structure to the scale and purpose of the neighbouring heritage retail buildings.

I thought the reason that everyone calls for retail in new developments was that retail brings traffic and vibrancy to the street. The design and uses of this building should bring its own vibrancy of student life. Retail is good but it was mostly hardscrabble in this neighbourhood and any upscaling will only bring the same branded concerns found at Yorkdale, Sherway and Square One. No reason that should take precedence over Ryerson serving its students and claiming its important presence in the area.

Last edited:
I wouldn't support the unraveling of retail in virtually any other situation, but Yonge's character is greatly enhanced through the conjunction of commercial and intellectual space. The stairs will not be "institutional" in the sense of a hospital or court; instead, youth thinking and socializing will mix with shoppers, improving, not detracting from, the dynamic of Yonge.

It will do the same for Ryerson, and by extension Toronto's educational culture. The ancient idea of scholastic separation that dominated early thinking about higher education is now modified for the 21st century: instead of the isolation of campus from city - supposedly giving the learner intellectual distance from (potentially corrupt) society - the educational institution is joined with the city. It is the physical embodiment of Ryerson's goal to connect with the city through its educational offerings.

With campuses like UofT's Mississauga and Scarborogh and York, Toronto needs something to connect the two worlds. UofT downtown sort of does it with College St., but you can see the old idea of separation at work almost everywhere else.

With campuses like UofT's Mississauga and Scarborogh and York, Toronto needs something to connect the two worlds. UofT downtown sort of does it with College St., but you can see the old idea of separation at work almost everywhere else.

I would say U of T still functions on the model of separation along College, considering the difference in urban form and street engagement (just think the ceremonial gateway at King's College Road and College). In fact one can argue the boundary is breaking down partly due to the campus creeping southward (old TDSB HQ, examination site, the upcoming private res).

AoD

Totally agree AoD; "sort of" was my clumsy way of saying that. The buildings are just sort of "there" - they generally don't engage the street. None of the landscaping attempts to create public space. It acts rather as a kind of border or fence of hedges. The bookstore might be the worst offender to me with its cheesy high school football sign perched along College. The CAMH building at Spadina has its own issues as well. I very much look forward to seeing the effect of the new Architecture building for Spadina and the general direction the university is going in as well as the expansion across College that you mentioned.

Last edited:
A lot of people are missing the fact that this project is also giving us a new public space. The right side of the steps appear to be set up as seating. (double height steps). This will be an amazing place to sit and people watch during the warmer months. New (quasi-)public space beats any retail in my opinion.

Last edited:
as much as the entrance may work well for its intended purpose, I'm hoping that it wouldn't be taken over as the smoker's haven like many modernist entry way overhangs often become.

Maybe it's just me but I really do not like the design of the street-level 'podium'. The proportions feel off, the materials seem cheap, and it just doesn't seem to relate to the molar above. I'm also not happy with the retail spaces (from the pictures at least). As I understand it the mandate was to preserve the retail character of Yonge along this stretch, and I'm not sure this is the case. I do love how it meets the corner and I'm loving the blue!

You're not alone, the street-level is terrible. It looks like a giant cube was plopped in the middle of the busiest street in Canada.

I wouldn't support the unraveling of retail in virtually any other situation, but Yonge's character is greatly enhanced through the conjunction of commercial and intellectual space. The stairs will not be "institutional" in the sense of a hospital or court; instead, youth thinking and socializing will mix with shoppers, improving, not detracting from, the dynamic of Yonge.

It will do the same for Ryerson, and by extension Toronto's educational culture. The ancient idea of scholastic separation that dominated early thinking about higher education is now modified for the 21st century: instead of the isolation of campus from city - supposedly giving the learner intellectual distance from (potentially corrupt) society - the educational institution is joined with the city. It is the physical embodiment of Ryerson's goal to connect with the city through its educational offerings.

The new public space at the corner is irrelevant. I actually like it too. This space would be equally successful however, and perhaps even more so, if they had delivered on the mandate of preserving the flow and integrity of retail along Yonge, instead of diluting it even further.

As for blending town and gown here, well maybe there's a reason for the separation to start with. Retail benefits from other retail, it's an issue of critical mass. It's why there is no branch of NYU or Columbia in Times Square (probably not the main reason but you get my point). On the flip side, students need space. They need to congregate and spend long periods of time together, and not for retail purposes (in fact they are notorious for taking up space and spending little money). Developing public spaces within Ryerson's precinct, and growing east towards Church would serve students better for this purpose.

Taken from one of the labs. If you can get past the slightly dirty window, you can see the staircase.

20150123_130432.jpg

A cleaner view.
20150123_130447.jpg

20150123_130455.jpg

You can kinda see the space inside.
20150123_130500.jpg

20150123_130834.jpg

Attachments

• 20150123_130432.jpg
    20150123_130432.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 954
  • 20150123_130447.jpg
    20150123_130447.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 946
  • 20150123_130455.jpg
    20150123_130455.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 980
  • 20150123_130500.jpg
    20150123_130500.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 949
  • 20150123_130834.jpg
    20150123_130834.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 949
A Starbucks here is a joke. There's one in 10 Dundas East a 2 minute walk away, then there are ones in the Eaton Centre (inside and out), 2 more just west of Bay on Dundas, and another one at Elm and University. There might even be more in the area that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Can I make a cheaper suggestion? How about installing security cameras instead? Or hire more security guards instead of wasting money on that building?

That does nothing to prevent crime, it only makes it easier to punish it. Unless you're suggesting make them extremely visible and prominent, which in that case that won't help either because it will feel like some kind of police state.

When I said safe, I meant that when an area is well lit, it's perceived as a safer area than if it were pitch black. (especially with the sketchy looking Victoria Ln right beside it.)

So pretty much confirmed the ground level Starbucks will be the only retail tenant, with the below grade portion being expanded student space. Shame.

The below grade portion is most likely a temporary arrangement. The Theatre School was looking for a new temporary building because their current one is falling apart. I feel like they're taking that space, which will be temporary (the school wants those leases for money).

none of which are really convenient for anyone who wants to grab something between classes. The Starbucks isn't going to be using the retail level, its going to be in the lobby of the building.

Back